Chapter Seventy-One

Start from the beginning

    Ducleus stare at him in pity that he's desperately trying to conceal; knowing well how much Zach hates that look.

    "By chance...did you mark her?" Zach tensed at his words as his eyes snapped towards him. His other side growled, starting to advance to the surface before Zach shook his head to shaken up the beast inside and bring it back to the back.

    "I did" he answered instead, suddenly feeling a lump in his throat as his mouth just suddenly dried. The night of him marking her has him feeling that pain and regret again, knowing how much he messed up...how much he destroyed any chance of redeeming himself again.

    It didn't even help as Ducleus' morphed into terror that agitates all of them even more.

    "Zach..."

    "Lex..." He breathes out as the three watch him search the darkness for something they couldn't comprehend.

    "Zach..."

    "Lex, where are you?" He asked under his breath as he raked his eyes among the dark treelines, through the bushes, up the canopies and to the dark sky. The moon doesn't even seem enough to light up the world in its ethereal glow, like something is keeping it from giving just a tinge of light in the earth...just like Zach's.

    They watched in shock as a single tear trailed its salty path on Ducleus' cheek that haven't cried for years.

    Ducleus' eyes watered even more as he turned his back towards them with a sharp intake of breath that even sounds painful to take in. His fists clenched hard that blood started to ooze out, causing Zach's other side to open his eyes and sniff the air; giving out a toothed grin with the smell of blood.

    'Keep it in. Keep it in' he kept reminding himself, heaving in deep, calming breaths as he was taught to do when you get your emotions on haywire and you're body refusing to obey the commandment of your mind.