“Nothing, just leave me alone,” I said.

I could feel the pain from the punch taking effect. Taylor walked over to me and turned me to face her. She looked at my hand and saw blood on my bandaged palm. “You're bleeding,” she said as she took my hand in hers and started undoing the bandage.

“Just leave it,” I stubbornly said, pulling back my hand.

“Jay-Jay, please, just let me take a look at it,” Taylor said.

I cursed for the second time that day and offered my hand to Taylor.

“Why did you punch him?” she asked as she exposed the wound, to find the burn.

“Because he said something I didn't like,” I said, then quickly explained the burn after I saw the expression across Taylor's face. “I burnt myself while I was making breakfast this morning.” The bleeding was coming from the burn which had been irritated from the punch. “Look, it's not your responsibility. I'll take care of it,” I said, trying not to show how much pain I was in.

“What did he say?” Taylor asked.

“He made a sexist comment about you.”

“And you punched him?”

“He had no right to say that.”

“We both know that violence does not solve anything.”

“I was upset, plus he had it coming.”

“You've never hurt anyone even if you were upset.”

“That's because I've never been that much upset,” I said, realizing I was getting even more upset now that I was being forced to explain myself.

“How are you going to explain this to Gloria? You can't go around punching your colleagues. It could hurt your reputation.”

“You don't think I'm aware of that?” I asked with the heat of anger. “You think I was just going to let him get away with such a comment? Nobody says something like that about you in my presence and gets away with it.”

“I think we should get a doctor to take a look at this,” she said.

“I'll take care of it.”

“If you continue working with it all exposed like that, you'll only make it worse.”

“I'll take myself to see a doctor,” I said in irritation, suddenly feeling like a child.

“I'll cancel my meetings and take you.”

“You don't have to do that.”

“I want to,” Taylor said, putting an end to the discussion and there was nothing else that I could do. Taylor made several calls and then we left the penthouse. I took the passenger seat and silently watched as Taylor drove my jeep to the hospital.

Once we got there, I was taken to a private room where my wound was tended to. I got a shot for the pain, which gave me a dizzy spell and then I went in search of Taylor.

When I didn't find her where I’d left her, I went around asking nurses if they had seen a woman fitting her description and was directed to another room within the hospital. I thought the information was incorrect until I walked in and saw Taylor's mother lying on a hospital bed with Taylor sitting beside her.

“Oh, my God.”

It was obvious that Taylor’s mom had been there for a while but what shocked me was the fact that I had not been aware that Ivy Walker was sick. I had often gone to visit her back in New Jersey. I had even explained my reasons for breaking up with Taylor in order to have one less person resentful of me and had consistently kept in touch. Seeing her there broke my heart.