Chapter 15 - Some BFF time

Start from the beginning

“Could we really have another Master in our midst?” He asked eagerly “I must test you immediately.”

“Uh no I have to go and see Ben for a lesson.” I tried to evade him as I picked up my bag.

“Wait! The Ambassador does not know about this?” He asked in amazement.

“Uh no I didn’t tell him.” I muttered while Caden murmured “I forgot.”

“Right you two stay here and wait for my return.” Mr Campbell said determinedly and disappeared.

I turned a glare to Caden who just looked back at me innocently. The last thing I needed right now was more attention focused on me. When Mr Campbell and Ben arrived back they were both looking overly excited if you ask me.

I groaned this was not going to be a fun afternoon. Mr Campbell hustled us all down to the hall where he brought out all the fencing equipment that the school thought was a good idea - yeah right. Unluckily for me that shortly after that he decided to be my opponent.

So I got to spend the next while trying to thwart my teacher who was also apparently my protector. Sweat broke out on his forehead even while he grinned broadly. But just like when I fought Caden, I saw my opportunity and I took it. Within seconds he was unarmed with my sword point at his jugular.

“Well done Charlie.” Ben shouted to me while Caden cheered.

“I warned you Sir.” Caden told Mr Campbell whose grin took up his whole face.

We all stood stock still when the door to the hall was opened and when Izzie walked through, there was nobody more surprised than me. The determined angry look on her face did not bode well for me as she marched over.

“Who are you?” Were the only words she asked me as she poked me in the arm.

I quickly dropped the sword, upset that I would have to go through this again. I could only hope that this time she would forgive me as well. With my heart in my throat I stepped cautiously towards her but she moved away, making me want to cry.

“Just let me explain Izzie.” I said as calmly as I could.

“Explain what exactly? The fact you just beat a man with a sword, the fact that man is our teacher or the fact that he called you Ambassador and Caden a prince!” She yelled at me and I winced.

“Will you calm down and I swear I’ll tell you the truth.” I promised.

So we all sat for God only knows how long and I told her about Argonia and everything else. She listened, she forgave me and then I dropped the bombshell of having to change this afternoon by going into the past. As usual she freaked just a little but eventually agreed.

I came back after making sure she left the school before Mr Campbell outed us and as usual I felt so sad that Izzie still didn’t know me. Caden hugged me which was soothing but I still felt bad for Izzie as I did every time she got suspicious of me.

I felt my eyes fill with tears at all the deceptions I kept. Izzie was my true and honest friend. My problem was that I did nothing but lie to her every day of my existence. It broke my heart sometimes that she was my most trusted friend but I could never trust her with the truth of who I was.

“It will be alright Charlotte?” Caden whispered reassuringly.

“How do you know? I have to lie to her so very often about myself. She will never know that I am Ambassador to Argonia; she will never know that I can travel back in time or have any magic whatsoever. She’s right, who am I to her? Really who am I?” I struggled out of his arms and marched away.