Chapter 10 - Frightful dreams and petty jealousy

Chapter 10 – Frightful drams and petty jealousy ©

Caden’s POV       

I watched her walk away and felt like a heel. I had been feeling increasingly guilty about not telling her the truth. She had talked to me for hours about how when she was in Argonia she never felt like she truly fit in.

It wasn’t her fault; we are all conditioned to respond that way to any Ambassador. Next to the Goddess, she was basically the person in charge of everything in our world. I was still very glad that I got to know her before I knew about her being the next Ambassador. She made my day every single moment of every day.

“Uh you’re Highness? Perhaps we should sit and have a talk about the adventures you and our daughter have been on.” Her Mother said to me.

I turned to her smiling politely and nodded. She kept glancing at me with such a predatory look that made me incredibly uneasy. Then I remembered how Charlotte had defended me with that surprisingly possessive snarl and I instantly felt more secure.

We talked long into the night and I found out many fascinating things about Charlotte’s life. Even though she never walked back down those stairs, I was not leaving until I knew she was alright with what I had kept hidden from her.

I heard her scream, even though it was muffled, then she shouted my name and I was instantly on the alert. Her parents looked at me with a mixture of confusion and worry as her screams only continued getting louder.

“Where is her room?” I asked, already on my feet.

“Upstairs, third door on the left.” Her father told me, his voice smothered in concern “Is she okay?”

“I do not know. She keeps having nightmares but this is the first time she has called out.” I explained as she screamed my name in the most terrifying voice I have ever heard. Panic set in and I ran from the room, praying to the Goddess that she was safe and sound.

I opened her bedroom door to find her clutching her head in her hands while still fully dressed in the middle of her bed. She saw me and a whimper escaped her. I’m sure she would have run over to me but she seemed incapable of moving at all.

I wrapped my arms tightly around her and felt my heart clench at the tears that were streaming down her face. She clutched at me, her arms so tight that I could barely breathe as she shivered in uncontrollable fear.

“Where were you?” She finally asked me in almost desperation.

“Downstairs with your parents talking.”

“Well that can’t be good.” She muttered and I laughed, trying to dispel her fears.

“Do not worry.” I told her while I stroked her soft, wonderful hair “Come and lay back down.”

“Will you stay with me please?” She aimed those soft brown eyes at me and I knew I could never resist her. She stretched out and I realized she was still wearing her grimy travel clothes from the day before.