Chapter 9 - Home truths to swallow

Chapter 9 – Home truths to swallow ©

Brute wasn't quite as cooperative as Lissa had been. I had to stifle my laughter as Caden fell continuously back onto the ground. Finally though we managed to get them coordinated and soon we were flying along leaving miles of Fairy Land behind us.

That evening we finally reached the border making me feel renewed and refreshed especially when I felt the zap of the border as we passed through it.

We landed smoothly in the Troll Lands and decided to set up camp. I dragged some large logs over to where Caden was building us a fire only later realising I could finally use my magic.

The orange crackling flames soothed me as I wondered what our next move should be. Caden passed me a dish of hearty stew he had made while up was deep in thought and I relished its warmth and delicious taste.

"I have been wondering what we should do now?" Caden questioned as we sat back and watched the fire "We cannot blink and zap, as you would say if we intend to take the horses."

"Yep I know. I've been thinking about that too. You can zap home from here and I can take the horses with me to my home." I explained, finally finding an excuse not to face a Royal Fanfare.

"I am not entering the city unless you are by my side." Caden said firmly while I cursed quietly.

"Well that means we have many more days of travelling with limited supplies. Actually let me test something."

I stood up, cleared my head and imagined my home in Argonia. Just as I blinked, I heard Caden say my name in a desperate tone, but I was gone. I opened my eyes on the familiar gleam of light from the huge expansive windows that overlooked a broad forest.

Before I convinced myself I wanted badly to stay I zapped back to Caden. A ruckus had ensured with all the horses whinnying wildly and dancing anxiously around. Caden was as trying to calm them but to no avail. Once they saw me they settled straight back down, while Caden turned to me in frustration.

"Please do not do anything like that again." He emphasised every word with a quick kiss on my lips.

"Okay, so it looks like we have to do it the long way." I said on a sigh "Only problem is as soon as we enter a village everyone will know who you are." I mused as I turned around to reassure Lissa that I was really there.

"That is not a problem at all." A grumpy unrecognisable voice said from behind me.

I turned sharply to see an old rather shabby looking man and I frowned wondering where Caden was. In a blink the old man was gone and Caden stood in his place.

"What the...."

"A glamour disguise is one of my many talents." He told me with a wink.

"Awesome!" I grinned at him and raised my hand for a high five but he just looked at me oddly and I sighed "Raise your hand and slap mine." I explained. He followed my instructions to the letter but still looked confused.