Chapter 22: Hostage Taking

A/N: Jed's PO- *sees Jed running away* HOY! It's your effing POV, you bastard! *chases after Jed*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Hey! Hey! Jed!" Karissa called as she waved her hand in an attempt to get my attention.

But, I didn't hear her. I was too busy conversing with the Seventh.

"Geez, Why can't he hear me? That's odd. Who's the person beside him?." Karissa guestioned to herself.

"Eh? Fourth, who's that?" I turned to Seventh, who was pointing at Karissa.

"Oh, she's one of my peers." I smiled.

Seventh scratched the back of her head. "One of your peers huh? Can you.. uhhh... introduce me to them? I'd like to meet her." 

My smile widened. Ohohoho. "Sure, why not? Come on." I grabbed Seventh's arm and dragged her towards Karissa.

I let go of Seventh's arm once we were in front of Karissa, who had a dumfounded look plastered on her face.

"Sup, Karissa?" I greeted her with a smile.

"Nothing much, Jed. Um, who's this pretty girl?" She inquired. 

"Well, she's my-" I was cut off in mid-sentence by Karissa's squeal.

"Oh my gosh! You finally found yourself a girlfriend! What's her name? Huh? Huh?" Karissa scooted closer.

I felt blood gushing across my cheeks. "I told you. She's not my girlfriend, damn it!" I huffed.

Karissa giggled. "Oh really now? Then, why are you red as a tomato?" She stated, pointing to my face.

"Shut it." I retorted.

Karissa rolled her eyes playfully. "Little Jed here has a girlfriend already~" She sang.

"KARISSA!!!!!!!!" I tackled Karissa to the ground, forgetting that Seventh was still standing there, slightly dumbfounded.

"Um, Fourth? Am I interrupting something?" The Seventh snickered.

"No." I shot back at her.

"Ohhh. Okay." She responded nonchalantly.

I got off Karissa and dusted my pants.

"Anyway~ Karissa, meet Patricia Datol." I started introducing.

"Hi there. It's nice to meet you." Karissa flashed a smile and shook Pat's hand.

"Seventh, meet Karissa." 

"Oh, hey. It's nice meeting you too, Kar-chan." Patricia flashed a sincere smile.

"No way. You're the Seventh?! It's really an honor meeting you." Karissa's eyes sparkled as she shook Patricia's hand vehemently. 

I sighed. 

"Now, now Karissa. You might make Seventh's arm fall off." I chuckled behind my hand.

Karissa pouted. "But I want to know her better!" She crossed her arms in front of her chest.

"Relax. There's plenty of time in getting to know each other better, right Seventh?" I turned to Seventh and smiled.

"Fourth's right, Kar-chan." She giggled.

"But, Patchiiiiiiiiiiii~" Karissa whined like a four year old toddler.

"Patchii?" Seventh and I exclaimed in unison.

Karissa nodded. "Yes. It's Patricia's nickname. It's a cute nickname, don't you think Patchii?"

Seventh nodded her head vigorously. "Yeah. I agree with you!"

Karissa turned to face me. "See, Jed? She likes it."

I sighed. "You win this round, Karissa. Anyway, where are the others?"

Karissa blinked. "Others? You mean Mav, Paul and Faizan?" She tilted her head in confusion.

I rolled my eyes. "Duh. Who else?"

Karissa fiddled her fingers in front of her chest. "Um..." She started. "I don't know."

My eyes widened. "You don't know? Weren't you with them hours ago?" 

Karissa fidgeted. "I was! But..." She gulped while she bit her lip to prevent her tears from flowing.

I anticipated for the worst. "What? What is it?" I urged her to continue.

Karissa mustered a bit of courage before continuing. 

"They were taken as hostages at a certain warehouse." She finished.

I froze. Seventh looked at me, worried. Karissa averted her gaze.

"No way..." I fell down on my knees while covering my face with shaking hands. Seventh and Karissa rushed to my side and whispered comforting words into my ear while rubbing soothing circles on my back.

Unable to contain the pain I am now experiencing, I crumbled down.

I'm a failure.

I can't even save my friends.

I'd be better off dead.

'A failure like me should never be alive...'

I snapped out of thoughts when Seventh shook me by the shoulders.

"Snap out of it, Fourth! Do you want to save your friends?" She shouted at my face.

I sniffed. "O-of course I want to save them." I wiped my tears away. "But... a failure like me won't accomplish anything..."

Seventh was enraged. She slapped the hell out of me. 

I rubbed my cheek. "What was that for?" I maundered quietly.

"For being such a dumb ass!" She spat at me.

"I'm sorry for being such a pain in the ass." I flashed a sad smile at her.

She seemed to calm down.

"You know, Fourth.... You shouldn't let things like this get to ya." She casually stated.

I fell silent, not knowing what to answer.

"Speak up, Fourth. Do you want to save your friends or not?" She sternly stated.

She turned to face me.

I flinched at her pernicious gaze. I nodded vehemently.

She smirked. "Heh, you haven't quite changed, Fourth." She muttered quietly.