9 - Saying Goodbye

Start from the beginning

I watched him train as I had the piglet boar on my shoulder. He was really going all out. "I guess he's really determined to defeat Saitama." I said, amused. I looked over at a tree and noticed Saitama's face was carved into it.

"Did Sonic do that?" I mumbled. Probably. Maybe he's using it to encourage himself to train harder.

"Hey! Hitomi!" 

"Huh?"

I turned around as I was hugged tightly by a stranger. When I got a faint whiff of dog, I knew exactly who it was. "Kiba?" I said. "I've been looking for you everywhere! Where were you?!" Kiba said as he grabbed my shoulders and looked at me.

"It's kind of a long story," I said. "But that's besides the point. How did you find me?"

"I went back to your house and your mom said you went for a walk," My eyes widened slightly when he mentioned my mother.

"I looked all over the city for you and I couldn't find you anywhere. So, I asked for Saitama's help ane he said that you be taking a walk in the woods." Kiba said. "Saitama?!" Sonic repeated/yelled. "Where is he?! You didn't bring him here, did you?!"

He grabbed Kiba's shirt with both hands and got close to his face. "Tell me! Is Saitama here with you?!" Sonic asked, desperate for an answer. He almost sounded like he's afraid.

"What? No! I didn't bring him with me! He just told me where to find Hitomi and stayed behind!" Kiba explained as Akamaru growled. "Good... Good." Sonic said, slowly letting go of his shirt. "You're totally scared of Saitama, aren't you, Sonic?" I stated.

"Shut up! I am not! I'm just not ready to face him yet! That's why I need to keep training until I am ready!" Sonic said. "Right." I said, sarcastically. "Is he another friend of yours, Hitomi?" Kiba asked. 

"No, not a friend. This is Speed-o'-Sound Sonic. But you can just call him Sonic." I explained. "Is this guy your boyfriend or something?" Sonic asked. "Hmm..." I looked at Kiba, then at Sonic. "Yeah, I guess so." I answered.

Kiba's face went red as steam burst out of his ears. "We're seriously dating?!" Kiba yelled. "Yeah, we went on a date, didn't we?" I mentioned. "Yeah, but-"

"Meh, you're probably right. It's too early for us to be dating so quickly." I interrupted. "N-No! It's not that! I was just-!"

"Hey, take this conversation somewhere else. I'm trying to train here." Sonic interrupted Kiba. "Yeah, yeah. We're going." I said. I grabbed Kiba's hand and walked off to another part of the woods. 

"Kiba, did my mom say anything to you when you were there?" I asked. "Nope. She told me where you might be and here I am." He said.

"Is that it?"

"Uh... Wait, yeah. There is, actually. She wanted me to give you a message in case I did run into you."

"And what was that?"

"She said, she wants you come home immediately. She must be very protective of you." Kiba mentioned.

"Huh?"

"The monsters.  Of the monsters. Saitama and Genos told me how this place is crawling with them. I nearly got eaten by one myself while trying to find you. Your mom really loves you to look out for you like that."

"Yeah..." I somewhat agreed. "Sorry for having you go through the trouble of finding me way out here."

"Hey, it's no big deal," Kiba replied with a smile. "Hitomi, are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. Why wouldn't I be?"

"Well... Saitama and Genos say you've been forcing a smile every now and then."

"What?"

"I don't know... It's what I heard from Genos. He said something about seeing through you." 

I lowered my head. "Kiba... We shouldn't have met." I said, quietly. "Huh? What do you mean?" He asked. "I can't explain it. In fact, I can't talk about it. I think it's best... if you just forgot about me. You and Akamaru." I said. 

"Hitomi, what are you saying? I don't wanna forget about you. Just talk to me and I can help you. Please." Kiba said, grabbing my shoulders as Akamaru barked in agreement. I shook my head. "Please... Just forget we ever met." 

"What...?" Kiba's eyes went hazy and began to sway until he fell forward on my chest. I caught him and sat down on my knees the same time Akamaru fell asleep. 

"I'm sorry, Kiba. Akamaru. But I don't want you worrying about me... because you might get hurt. And I will never forgive myself if it ever came to that." I whispered. I sadly looked at the two of them before closing my eyes. 

"I'm sorry, guys. But this... this is for the best. For both of us." I whispered. I have to get them back to their village. "Akuma." I summoned. He was quickly in front of me in a kneeling position as leaves fluttered over him. "You rang?" He asked before lifting his head with a smirk.

"I need you to take them back to the Leaf Village," I said, referring to Kiba and Akamaru

"I need you to take them back to the Leaf Village," I said, referring to Kiba and Akamaru. "You know where that is, don't you?"

"Of course I do. I've flown past that place so many times, it's stuck in my head like a map." Akuma said. "Good." I replied. "Who are these guys, anyway?" He asked, looking at Kiba and Akamaru. "My friends. Could you please get them back home safely?" I asked.

"Sure, no problem." He said, taking them from my lap. He held Kiba over his shoulders while Akamaru was tucked in Kiba's jacket. "I'll come back to you when the job is done." Akuma informed. "Thank you." I said. 

"Yeah. Catch you later, Hitomi."

Akuma flapped his bat-like wings and levitated a few feet off the ground. "Wait, Akuma. How come you're still in chains?" I asked, curiously. "Because I'm bound to only you." He joked. "Hilarious." I replied, sarcastically while rolling my eyes.

Akuma smirked and took off, taking Kiba and Akamaru with him. Once they were out of sight, I headed back to the city. "It was fun, Kiba. I really had a good time with you. I just wish it had last longer."