Chapter 24 - Numbani II

Beginne am Anfang

Man, Hanzo was right. Lying does NOT look good on me.

"I see," Athena acknowledged. "I suppose one can't be too cautious,"

"Thank you again for your help," I praised.

"You are welcome. Goodnight Miss Ivery," Athena spoke in farewell. "You may eject when ready,"

I pulled the USB out of the port and all of the apps on my phone returned as if nothing had actually changed. Tossing the USB back into the drawer with the remainder of a few of my personal belongings I bought over the week, I shut the drawer and laid back against my pillow, returning my hold to the tea cup.

Back to business then. . . The mission. . .

"What do I remember of Zarya. . ." I mumbled to myself, my gaze drifting off to the ceiling as I picture the previous memory in my mind, playing it back like a film. 

My first interaction with Zarya didn't exactly go smooth sailing. She didn't treat Genji as an equal. She looked down upon him like he was a piece of trash and it made my blood boil. But even after that, Zarya doesn't deserve to get possibly ambushed by Talon in order to protect Sombra just because I was upset with her calling Genji an Omnic, right?

But what if what Sombra said was really all true?

I sighed, setting my cup down on the bedside counter as I sat up from the bed. I can't just sit around all night thinking about this. I need to move, and get my blood flowing.

I walked over to the giant window that gave me a stunning view of Downtown Numbani. Raising my wrist up, I activated my communicator, bringing up a holoscreen as I google searched Zarya, reading up her profile.

"Aleksandra Zaryanova, eh?" I mumbled to myself.

Looks like she was a champion weightlifter before joining the war against the Omnics attacking Russia.

Sombra said the Russian would be meeting an Omnic hacker named Lynx-17. If she wants me to report their activity, I'm going to need to find his address. I scrolled through my message board. . . nothing from the Spanish hacker. It appears she wants me to really work hard for this. In a sense, I get why.

"Looks like this is going to be a tailing mission," I realized.

I zoomed in on Zarya's profile picture, taking a few minutes to try and memorize her face, eye colour, her hair (though I'm sure it'll stand out once I find her out in the streets), the scar above her right eye, her "512" tattoo on her left shoulder, and her pale skin.

Once I was satisfied, I powered off my communicator as I walked back to the counter, finishing the cup of tea before I got ready for bed.

I'm probably going to get in huge trouble with Winston. . . again. But I don't exactly have a choice right now.

*******

Sombra pushed the large doors open, strutting into the office of Talon Director Agrippa. The older woman sat at her desk, chatting with Akande who stood by her, discussing plans and other possible targets to hit.

The hackers sudden appearance caught the Director's attention as she turned her head to acknowledge her approach. "What is it, Sombra?"

"You told Reaper that you wanted to see how Ivery would handle herself in a fight, right?" The Spanish woman recalled, a smile spreading on her lips.

"Sombra, what exactly did you do?" Akande questioned, his arms crossed over his chest.

She giggled darkly as she snapped her fingers, her techno-wired gloves materializing a holographic screen that displayed her signature skull, it's lips moving as it played back a recording.