Chapter 51

Jules

I HAVEN'T EVEN bothered changing my clothes from the gym. All I've done is pace the creaky hardwoods of my townhouse since I got home. Jake said he would be coming by, so I've not felt like I can get into more comfortable clothing, and by more comfortable I mean ditching my bra the moment I walked in the door. To say his words didn't send a chill down my spine would be lying. Something about the way he told me to come home and not to leave until he came by made me shiver. It was an order, but it was also a warning and threat rolled into one. Since this started a couple of weeks ago, I've become well versed in those.

My eyes keep wandering to the clock on the microwave. It's a quarter to ten. What time exactly was he planning to come by? Do I just wait up on him all night? There is no way for me to get in touch with him. I'm left at his mercy. And up until tonight, I would've had the stupid necklace to communicate to him, but I don't even have that.

Wrapping my arms around my waist, I have to admit it's unnerving to know I'm all alone for the first time since this began, that I have no protection, that I am so out of tune to everyone. My mind keeps going between Jake coming by and Charlie leaving me. It just seemed too easy. And the timing was beyond convenient. He practically pushed me into Theo's arms. Then, Jake was right there to tell me what to do. Are Charlie and Jake working together? What if they weren't even FBI?

Shit.

What if they wanted me to stay here so they could hurt Theo? Covering my mouth with my trembling hand, I suck in a deep breath. Please don't let him be in trouble. Especially because of me.

Boom. Boom. Boom. "Jules. It's me."

My heart's stuck somewhere in my throat, matching the rhythm of Jake's knocks. "Coming." I open the door, and Mr. All Put Together Jake is disheveled.

He runs his hand through his hair, making no attempt to enter. "Grab your phone, keys, purse, whatever you need, and follow me."

I open my mouth to ask where we're going.

But he puts his hand up. "I already know what you're going to ask. Just do as I say, okay? No questions. It's been a really long day."

I nod. "Okay. Give me a second." He's freaking me out, but at the same time, I've not caught him in a lie really for the past two weeks. Of course, would I know if I had? Picking my bag up and sliding my running shoes back on, I meet him at my foyer. "Ready."

The walk to the elevator, ride down it, and subsequent journey to the parking garage is spent in silence. Awkward silence. My mouth is dry. My lids are starting to droop as fatigue sets in.

He walks to my car, which surprises me. "Follow me."

"What—" He puts a finger to my lips, his own eyes hooded, but I'm thinking it's not for the same reason as mine.

"No questions, Jules."

I bite my lip and hold my tongue as I unlock my door. I was going to ask what kind of car he had so I'd know I was following the right person, but I guess he'll let me know who he is. And then I was going to change it to what if I get separated from you? Because I don't have a way to get in touch with him, to call him. But I guess the answer is the same. He won't let that happen, or he'll find me.

I wish I knew where we were going, though. This feels wrong to just blindly follow a stranger in the dark to wherever they please. And even though I know his name, have a card for him, and have never been led astray, I'm learning there's a first time for everything.

I want to call Theo, to check on him, but even though I'm no longer wearing the necklace I'm terrified I'll put him in even more jeopardy since he has it now. In fact, every person I think of calling—my parents, Quinn, Charlie, even Calvin—leaves me with a crippling fear for their wellbeing. It seems like everyone I involve ends up in trouble. So, I just sit tight, hoping that wherever Jake's taking me is safe.

***

JAKE MADE HIS presence known in the parking garage, and he did a really amazing job of making sure it was easy to keep up with him. I was pleasantly surprised. There are times when I really hate him, loathe him, but there are others when I see little bits that I think may actually make him a decent guy. They don't just let anyone become special agents. He can't be that bad.

We pull into a parking garage, using adjacent spaces for our vehicles. Our horns even beep together when we exit and lock the doors.

It's kind of strange to be in synchronization with Jake.

I have questions, but his mood doesn't appear to have changed at all, and he's holding his phone to his ear. "We're on our way up." He never even looks at me. Hot and cold. I swear he doesn't have any middle ground with his personality. Maybe that's what makes him good at his job. "She doesn't know anything. That's your mess. I've gotta get back to Hawke and Hemingway. I'm just bringing her up, then I'm leaving." He drags an FBI badge on a silver chain from his pocket and loops it around his neck. "Yep. Bye."

I stare at him, but he doesn't look at me. He pushes the button for the elevator. When the doors open, he extends an arm to let me enter first. How nice of him. I roll my eyes and glare at the corner like it's done something wrong to me.

He pushes me into the wall, holding my chin up to where I'm looking in his eyes. He dips his lips down and kisses me one time. "This is it for us. You're free after we get off this elevator, and I just had to have a taste before I let you go."

I slap him. Then I slap him again. And kick him in his balls right as the doors are opening. He's coughing, gasping for air as the doors open, and the only thing I see are amber orbs looking up at me. They're filled with questions and then he lurches across the hall and into the elevator and fists Jake's shirt in his hands and shoves him into the wall, shaking and rocking the car.

"I told you to fucking keep your hands off her. What did you do?" He looks at me. "What did he do to you, Jules?"

But I can't speak. I can't say anything because all I can see past Theo is Charlie standing before me wearing FBI gear, holding the doors open. Beyond him, I see a dead body. Marco. And I'm so, so confused. What the fuck is going on?

He shrugs his shoulders and mouths, "I'm so sorry."

Sorry for what? What's he done? What is happening? "What's happening? What's happening?" My voice is shaky, but it gets louder and louder each time it makes its way out. "Will someone tell me what the fuck is happening?" I can't breathe. It's like concrete is being poured over me. My body is heating from the inside out. It's being buried alive. Crushed. Shattered. Broken. "What's happening? What's happening? What's happening?"

The elevator starts making a loud noise from the doors being open too long. But Charlie doesn't release them. He also doesn't take a step to comfort me.

Instead, Theo releases Jake and pulls me into his arms. "It's okay. It's okay. I got you." My body is limp in his arms, but he backs us off the elevator and then lifts me in his arms and lowers us to the floor, me in his lap. He brushes my hair back, tucks my head under his chin, and pushes it into his chest. I inhale, his familiar exotic scent of cedar and sandalwood filling my nostrils, and let the tears fall between us.