Chapter 34

Jules

BEFORE I KNOW it, I'm back to the parking garage. The drive here was a blur. Literally. Glancing around, I take in my surroundings, riding all the way to the top deck, then coming back down and parking in my usual area. Charlie's car is nowhere to be found. But what's odd is Theo's is not here, either. Not even an hour ago he told me he was coming here.

I guess it's possible he did what he needed to do and left. It's not like I know him well enough to know what his schedule is like, what his work habits are. My chest tightens. I really thought I'd learn those things sooner rather than later. Or rather than never. Tears threaten the backs of my eyes again. How am I going to get any work done when all I want to do is cry? Cutting the ignition off, I grab my bag, then head inside. When I get to the elevator, I gaze over to the spot where Theo and I had our encounter last night, where I called him Mystery Giant. My heart feels like someone's piercing it with little needles. Like it's slowly, painfully deflating.

He deserves an explanation about what is going on. He's going to think I used him, but I didn't. The last thing I want him to believe is whatever we shared wasn't real for me because it was. It is. Very, very real.

What was I thinking going to Jake without talking to Theo? But then again, how was I going to talk to Theo? Charlie was hot on my trail, on our trail. There was no way I could let Theo do what he wanted. Charlie would have figured it out immediately, used it against us.

Jake says he has a mountain of evidence against me. It makes me wonder what that is. How I can get my hands on it. What if that was just a bluff?

The elevator dings, and I step in, pressing the button for my floor. The doors close as the pattering of feet amplifies. Just before I'm fully enclosed, before the car jerks in motion, amber orbs sear my soul. "Jules, wait." The pain, the anguish on his face—the desperation in his deep, rich voice—is something I'll never forget.

My stomach lurches into my throat as the elevator starts to ascend. How am I supposed to avoid him when we work in the same building? Staying away from Theo may prove to be one of the hardest things I've ever done because all I want to do is press the button for his floor, wait outside his office door, and be in his arms while confessing how fucked up all of this is. But that's not an option.

The car slows, the doors open, and I rush to my office. Anna's sitting at the front desk. She uses one of those ear pieces that look more like headphones with a microphone attached. Her blond hair is pulled back in a messy, sophisticated bun. Her makeup is always perfect. She looks like something that could have stepped out of a magazine or commercial for Cover Girl. Fresh, gorgeous, and fun. She looks like someone you'd want to hang out with at the beach or a club. She seems like the type who probably always gets the hot guy. But this time, I got him, and it sucks that I can't keep him. "Hey. I'm super behind," I say. "I'm locking myself in my office. Do not disturb me for any reason."

She nods and smiles. "Sure."

"For any reason. Got it?"

Her brows furrow. "For any reason. Yes, ma'am."

"Good. Thanks," I say as I'm walking into my office. Closing and locking the door, the main door chime rings. A loud thump startles me. No doubt, Theo has stormed into my office.

Anna's voice is muffled, but his isn't as he starts to bang on the mahogany separating us. "Jules, open this fucking door."

What's he doing? Does he realize if Charlie walks in and sees him here, he's screwing everything up? He isn't supposed to be here. And I'm not supposed to talk to him. Dammit. He needs to leave.