Chapter 24

Jules

I'M LEFT IN the elevator, completely speechless, completely in shock. What the actual fuck?

Pressing the button for my floor, I reach down and pick up my things, then I cover my body with my arms. When it dings for my floor, I exit and walk to my door.

I don't even feel safe in my own building, at work, anywhere. Putting the key into my door, I pause before I turn it. I'm not prepared for Charlie to be on the other side. Maybe I should just go to my parents like Theo mentioned. Theo. What is he thinking at this point having heard all that? And I'm afraid to take my phone out to talk to him for fear Charlie is here.

The thought of being able to snuggle in my bed, though, wins as fatigue settles into every muscle in my body.

Turning the key, I open the door. The lamp I leave on in the kitchen is still illuminated. Nothing has changed. Everything looks like it did when I left it this morning. Like nothing in my life has changed when everything actually has.

Closing the door quickly, I lock it, wishing I had more than just a deadbolt. If it were up to me, I'd have about five locks. And Charlie wouldn't have a key to any of them.

I glance down at my feet and smile, kicking off my ugly ass shoes. Theo. I need to pull my phone out, but before I do, I remember his comment to watch my front, back, and sides. I imagine if he were in here, he'd want me to check all the rooms. So, that's what I do. But even though I have no reason to believe no one has been here, that there's not a soul in my place other than me, my heart beats erratically.

Flipping the lights on in each room as I clear them, I find myself holding my breath during that split second when it goes from blackness to full color.

With each one, everything is fine. But what about the closets? I watch too many psycho-killer movies disguised as chick flicks. That's all this is. Paranoia. Who wouldn't be worried after the day I've had?

Walking to my room, I toss my purse on the bed, then I unzip my dress, let it puddle on the floor, and climb in my bed. "MG, are you listening? Did you hear each notch unzip? Did you hear the fabric fall? Do you remember what's underneath it?"

My lips form a smile. I love teasing him. It's going to become one of my favorite pastimes, favorite hobbies. Never have I felt so sexy undressing as I do right now.

Pulling the covers back on my bed, I climb in and grab my purse, taking the phone out.

When I press the unlock it so I can turn up the volume, I realize the call has ended. The. Call. Has. Ended.

My brows furrow. How can this be? Why would he let me go? Oh God. He heard everything in the elevator. Or did he? Did he hang up before I even got in there, and that's why he didn't come to my rescue, not that I needed saving this time?

I swipe to open his contact. Remembering our conversation on the subway about nicknames makes me smile. It shows MG. My mystery giant. Still making me lose my mind with questions.

I hit the green phone button. It dials.

"Where the fuck have you been?" he says.

"Not exactly the hello I was expecting. Why'd you hang up on me?"

"You hung up on me, Jules. One minute I heard you, and the next you were gone."

Shaking my head, my heart sinks. "I didn't, though. I swear, I didn't. You have to believe me."

"Whatever."

"Theo."

"What?"

"Where are you?"

"Walking back to my car."

My brows furrow. "Where are you going?"

"Home. Fucking finally."

I swallow. He sounds so cold, so pissed, so untrusting. "Where have you been?"

"Looking for you, but I'm done now. You're clearly fine, so you don't need me."

"I'm not fine, Theo. I'm exhausted and scared. The only time I'm not either of those is when I'm talking to you or when I'm with you."

He sighs.

"Come back to me."

"No."

"Please." I let my free hand wander down my stomach to my core. "I'm not wearing any clothes, Theo. And I may or may not be touching myself, thinking about you. Come back to me."

He sucks in a breath. "I can't come to you, Jules. I'm not sure what the hell you're thinking. Did you not tell me earlier your fucking fiancé has a key and drops by whenever he feels like it?"

"We can wedge a chair in front of the door or something."

He chuckles. "Because that won't be suspicious, and because chairs are so sturdy they can keep even an out of shape asshole out."

I let my finger stroke my clit, my breathing increases. "I want you. I need you. You. Are you to your car yet, Theo? Or are you coming back?"

"Almost to my car. I'm not coming back to you tonight, Jules. No matter how much you beg or try to seduce me. I'm a lot of things, but stupid isn't one of them."

"When you get to your car, will you touch yourself?"

He breathes into the phone. "Maybe."

"I've never done this before. You know, the whole phone sex thing, and I'd much rather do the real deed with you, but you're stubborn."

He laughs. "You're stubborn."

"I am. But you are too. We make quite a team. We are a team still, aren't we?"

The car door closes, and I as wait to hear what he is going to say back, my hand stills. "What are you doing to your pretty little body right now?"

"Nothing. I'm waiting for you to answer my question first. Do you trust me? Because I trust you, Theo. You're the only one I can say that about."

"I want to trust you, Jules, but for some reason we got disconnected, and it took you a long fucking time to call me back, and you've given me no explanation as to what the fuck you were doing during that time." His voice cracks. "I was so worried about you, and you're acting like nothing happened. But I can feel it, something isn't right. And I'll tell you I'm holding my cock wanting to stroke it while thinking about you, Jules. I want to do this with you, but you need to answer my question first."

"Answer what?" I ask, starting to squirm with need.

"The elevator was stuck for minutes, and I couldn't reach you. I called twice."

"My ringer was off."

He growls. "Were you in the elevator, Jules? Tell me what the fuck happened in there. Who were you with? You want me to trust you, then you need to be straight with me about the lapse in time between our calls."

I sigh. "I can't. I'm sorry."

"Good night, Jules." He hangs up as I close my eyes, a tear trickling down. There's no point in calling him back. There's nothing left to say tonight. Swiping the screen, I erase his calls from my history, then put my phone on my nightstand.

Another tear seeps onto my pillow. And another. Rolling over, I bury my face and let the emotions from the day consume me until the intense stinging keeps me from keeping them open anymore. That's when I play the highlight reel of all the many moments I had tonight with Theo that felt so good, so right, until I finally drift off to sleep wishing he were beside me, kissing my hair, telling me the sky isn't about to fall—that my life isn't about to crumble.

I need him to let me know we're okay. Or else, I'm going to have no choice but to pursue other options. And they won't involve him.