Chapter 38: "Porcelain Kiss"

I awoke early that morning with Mads fast asleep at my side and his muscular arm draped over my nude body.

If only I could live this way forever...

Careful not to wake him, I leant over and reached for the new cellphone I'd bought a month earlier in the pit of my handbag. The screen glowed brightly, which caused my tired eyes to squint, with one new message notification from my mother.

"Good morning Hun, hope you slept well and are ready for your big flight to London! Daddy and I were supposed to head back home earlier this morning, but we have decided to leave later on in the day so that we can see you off at the airport. Be sure to have all of your luggage with you and we'll see you in front of LAX at 10:00. Hugs and kisses! -Mom"

10:00... great.

I put my phone back into my purse and turned back over to face Mads, who was now wide awake.

"God morgen, min smukke engel." He smiled as he engulfed my body closer to his and passionately kissed my lips. "Today is the day."

I closed my eyes and inhaled deeply. "Yeah. It is."

"What time does your flight leave?"

"10:30... A.M."

He reached his arm out toward his nightstand and grabbed his glasses and Rolex.

"Hmmm... It looks like we only have two and a half hours until your departure."

"Seems that way." I huffed. "And I still need to gather the remainder of my belongings."

"You needn't worry about that." Mads took hold of my neck and kissed me yet again. "I'll have Cornelius take care of it all. Let's have some breakfast and then we'll drive to the airport."

We lingered in bed, cuddling up with each other, for another twenty minutes before we both realized that we needed to get up and face the unwanted day that lied ahead. I followed Mads into the shower where we enjoyed a rather heated make out session... among other things... and then threw back on the little black dress I wore the night before. Once downstairs, we sat out on his back patio and began to devour some delectable Danishes in the heat of the newly risen sun.

"How's the Danish?" He asked as he took a sip of his morning coffee.

"Which one?" I giggled sarcastically.

Mads' mouth formed itself into another beautiful grin and his canines peeked over the edge of his lower lip. "You know which one I'm referring to."

"Well..." I looked off into the morning sky and acted as though I was in deep thought. "It has an interesting flavor to it. It plays with your tongue... like sex in your mouth."

He shook his head and placed his hand onto his ribcage as he exposed a genuine line of laughter, much like the one he'd revealed back in Denmark when my mother had first spoken to him. I took pleasure in seeing him that way... playful, relaxed, and happy. Truly happy. I'd miss it. I mean, I knew that I'd miss a lot of the crazy quirks that made him seem all the more human, but his laughter... his laughter I'd miss the most.

"Ahh," Mads caught his breath. "I'm really going to miss your sense of humor, Elise."

He silently glanced down at his feet for a long moment with a strange neutral look of wonder in the corner of his eye, and for the first time, I hadn't the slightest clue what could possibly be running through his mind. He looked emotionless, like a man who has just been shot in the chest, but hasn't quite comprehended the fact that he is bleeding out and inevitably going to die. It was terrifying to see him in such a confused state and I was left unsure how to react.