Chapter Six

(Y/N) sat at her desk, tapping her foot anxiously.

The lecture on the French and Indian war was the furthest thing on her mind. She didn't care about the Ohio river valley nor the Treaty of Paris 1763. In fact, all she could focus on was the clock.

Just a few more minutes and she would be able to go home. Her mom would be waiting for her and she'd ask about (Y/N)'s day, and for once, she'd have good news to share with her.

For weeks, people were talking about homecoming. (Y/N) always wanted to go, but she could never find anyone to go with. She hadn't ever had friends to accompany the dance with, but she did this time around. After meeting Casey and April and becoming closer with them, she was more willing to attend school affairs like that.

April and Casey were going together as friends, and since Percy's girlfriend lived out of state, he offered to take (Y/N). She said yes only because he made it very very clear that it was as nothing more than friends.

She knew her mom would be elated. For years she tried to get (Y/N) to go to dances or to go somewhere with friends. Now that it was actually happening, (Y/N) couldn't wait to see how happy she was when she found out.

She glanced over at the clock for about the hundredth time. It would be at any moment, the bell would ring, and she'd be able to go. Just why was it taking so long?

(Y/N) quietly sighed and placed her head on her desk. She could faintly hear her teacher droning on and on about the new land barriers after the war. Of course, she couldn't care less about Britains new found land abundance. All she wanted was to hear that bell ring.

Finally, she heard the bell over the intercom. (Y/N) hurriedly began packing her things, paying no attention to the essay her teacher was assigning. Within mere moments, she was out of the door.

She hurried out of the school, barely even waving at Percy as he tried to get her attention. April didn't even get a chance to ask her why she was in so much of a rush before she sped by without a word.

(Y/N) impatiently tapped her foot the whole ride home. It seemed like time had slowed down to a stop. A subway ride that usually only took two minutes took what felt like two hours. It was completely agonizing.

Finally, she made it to her stop and climbed up the stairs to her street. There was no stopping to look in windows or staring longingly at people who were with family that day. (Y/N) made a beeline right to her apartment.

The elevator ride up lasted for an eternity. When the doors finally opened, (Y/N) rushed down the hall and stopped in front of her apartment door. She fished her key out of her pocket, unlocked the door, and opened it quickly.

The sudden action must've startled her mother because (Y/N) saw her jump. She turned around, a huge smile adorning her features. (Y/N) had almost forgotten how beautiful her mother was.

Crying made (Y/N) feel childish, but she couldn't help the tears that welled up in her eyes. She hadn't ever spent that much time away from her mother until they handled Shredder, so it was still a lot for her to get used to. She was so dependent on her mother and had been for a very long time.

"What's the matter, Sweetie?" Her mom questioned frantically, the smile she wore melting away in quick moments.

(Y/N) shook her head. She wrapped her arms around her mom tightly. "I missed you." She answered.

Her mom was quiet for a few moments. "I missed you, too." She finally said. It sounded like she had started to cry, as well.

(Y/N) immediately started to feel bad. She didn't mean to make her mother cry. She pulled away, giving the woman before her a sorrowful look. "I'm sorry—"