Chapter 25: A Storm and A Surprise

Start from the beginning

As sleep envelop me, I hear the gentle patter of rain on my windows.

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

BOOM!!!!! 

I jolt awake and instantly, hide under the covers. As I gather the rest of my senses, I realise that the slight rain I had heard as I fell asleep had transformed into a thunderstorm. I shudder as another roll of thunder rumbles by. 

Thunderstorms are one of the many things I fear. There is no reason behind it. I just have always had an irrational fear of storms. Suddenly, my room lights up with a sudden bright flash of lightning. A whimper escapes as I sit up slowly. The shadows in the corner of my room begin to take shape as fear starts to over-rule my mind. Tears start to roll down my cheeks as more thunder seems to rattle the windows. A scream lodges itself in my throat as another brilliant flash illuminates my room, creating monsters in the shadows.  Frantically scrambling, I grab my arc-reactor and fall off my bed to the floor. Sobs wrack my body as I stand up and stumble to my door. Memories of my father start to make their way into my mind. 

"Please," I whisper as I make it to the door and out into the hall, "Not now." I can feel the air becoming harder and harder to grasp and pull into my lungs. I didn't want a panic attack to happen. Not now, I plead silently. Not after so long of one not occurring. Falling heavily against the hallway wall, I sob and gasp for air as I attempt to block out the storm happening outside the tower. Thunder once again fills the sky, making me fall to the floor on my side and curl up. An image of my father looming over me filled my mind as the air was still avoiding me. Tears streamed down my face, cause my vision to be blurred. A scream trapped in my throat as I couldn't draw in the air to release it. 

A glow caught my attention and I realised that I was clutching the arc-reactor in my hand. "Any time you feel scared or anything, you take this out and remember that I'm not far away," Tony's voice trickles into my mind and I quickly grasp on to it. Gazing at the calming light of the reactor, I find that, slowly, my sobs are dying and the air is getting easier to pull into my lungs. Also, it is a lot easier to see.

 Looking around, I realise that J.A.R.V.I.S must have turned the lights on in the hallway and was right across from Tony and Pepper's room. I wonder if Tony is back yet. Shakily getting to my feet, I shuffle over to the door and stand there for a moment before pushing the door gently open. The room was empty. Carefully entering, I yelp when the lights switch on. 

"T....T....Tha..nk y...you, J...J...J.A.R.V....V.I.S.," I whisper, as I take another step into the room. 

"You are quite welcome, Miss Alexis," came the A.I's reply.

Gazing around, I realise how huge this room is. Taking it all in, I jump as I hear another roll of thunder outside, making the arc-reactor drop out of my hands and roll toward the bed. Silently rushing after it, I grab it just as it stops next to the bed. 

"Mr Stark would not mind if you slept here for the night," J.A.R.V.I.S. states, making me, once again, yelp in fright. Registering what the A.I said I look at the bed as I clutch the reactor to my chest. 

"A...Are y...you...s...s...sure?" I stutter, not wishing to intrude, but also not wanting to return to my room at the moment. Thunder once again rumbled outside and a flash of lightning accompanying it. I flinch at the sound and flash but remain on my feet as I feel myself clutch the reactor tighter.

"I am most certain," came the reply, "I can also soundproof the room if you wish it so the storm outside cannot be heard inside."

"P...p...please," I whisper as I climb onto the bed. Suddenly, the raging storm disappeared and silence was all that could be heard.