Chapter 21: A Battle Nigh

XXI

I almost think I'm back home. Father comes in through the door, smelling of the woods. Tia smiles from her place at the table, and I set out the last dish as mother leans over to fill the bowls with rich smelling stew.

The small taste of home is so poignant that I don't want to leave it as it slowly slips away as if I am an outsider, watching in on someone else's life. The image fades to the crisp early morning of our camp, the smell of the still smoldering campfire, the whinny of horses eager to be on the move. The tent flaps around me, noisily turning over itself in the breeze. I'd insisted on sleeping on the ground, around the campfire like the rest of my army but Seth had insisted that I would need the best night's sleep I could muster for the day ahead. As it was, I only slept a couple  hours.

I peek out of the tent flaps as the early risers of the camp begin to groggily crawl to life, stretching their limbs after spending their time stretched out on the gravelly ground.

I duck my head back inside, fastening the chord to my breeches and buttoning the white flowing shirt that I had picked out especially for today. There is certainly no way I'm going to be fighting in a dress, I am at enough of a disadvantage already.

I eye the black buttoned vest, a loan from Seth, which offers me slight protection against the long and sharp edges of a sword, pulling it on around me. I pause to fasten my hair, completing a rough plait and twisting it up, pinning it in place with pins from my mother's box, keeping it away from my eyes and face. It is up to me to epitomize every character of a rebel leader today, including looks. The people will turn their eyes to me in the hopes of their freedom, and I cannot - will not - let them down. 

Once I feel that I am ready, I emerge from the tent, looking upwards towards the slowly rising sun. I smile wryly as I realize that this very well might be the last sunrise I witness, and I detach myself silently from the group, heading east towards a slope to find a good view to watch. I don't have to go far before I find a small mountain, the top alight in freshly fragrant flowers as they turn their faces to the dawn rays.

The crunch of boots disturbs my quiet peace and I look up to see Seth standing before me, before he crouches next to me and fixes his gaze on the sun. "You look battle ready." He says, tone light.

"Thank you?" I glance up at him, hair still wet from where he has rinsed it, and he sighs.

"I mean, everything we have worked for has led up to this moment. I'm..." He pauses as his voice changes slightly, and he clears his throat. "I'm proud to be standing beside you today. I never thought I would get that chance, once your father died."

"He would be proud." I smile as my eyes glaze over slightly. "Of both of us."

"I'm sorry for everything that happened in the past." Seth admits, looking down as he twirls a flower around his fingers. "I didn't mean to offend you, or your family. And I am truly sorry for all the misfortune that has befallen you. You didn't deserve any of it."

"And you didn't deserve the words I yelled at you." I say softly. "You were father's closest friend, I was jealous."

He climbs abruptly to his feet as the first rays of sun begin to reach out towards the mountains, and points out the path in front of us. "Knavesmire is a short few hour's march in the distance. Once we are upon their gates, there will be no turning back. I have no doubt that they will not wait for us to lay siege, they will come fourth to meet us."

I turn my hands over, admiring their slight tremble. "I can't say that I will ever be ready for that moment."

"You should address your army - well," Seth gestures back the way we've come. "At least those who can hear you. The rest will follow."