Chapter 18: A Startling Discovery

XVIII

"Let's hear it for Douser!" The King announces as the crowd surrounding the arena applaud noisily.

Douser walks into the huge arena the King has overseen the set up of, admiring the extravagantly decorated waving banners and  wooden walls that span the arena, painted in bright colours of reds, yellows and blues. The King is seated on a raised platform to the side of the circular arena, the sun behind his throne offering him the best view. People from Stonygate crowd the optimal viewing places, shielding themselves from the bright sun.

He takes a few steps forward, entering the arena and waves to the crowd, taking his place near the King's platform. The twenty-four trainees stand separated, outside the arena, awaiting their turn that will determine whether or not they will join the king's army.

"Friends, and citizens of Stonygate. I welcome you to witness one of my most favourite events." The King claps his hands together emphatically. "Ever since the dawn of my kingdom, I have overseen a ceremony which ensures that all of my young guards are truly ready to take their place in my kingdom. That job, once the great Sha Raol's responsibility, falls to Douser, today." The King smiles towards the crowd, who all clap enthusiastically, hanging on to his every word. "The rules are simple. Each trainee will take out his sword and face Douser. This is not a competition to beat one another, nor to the death. As a just ruler, I deem only the best shall become my guards. If the Sha does not think that a trainee is ready, he will deem him not fit for services. If they do indeed prove themselves worthy, they will be presented with their own swords in a special ceremony, and be welcomed to my services. Without further ado, let the tournament begin!"

The King drops his hand, and the first trainee steps into the ring. The young boy clutches his sword and approaches Douser warily, as if he is approaching a wild animal. His trainer hangs over the arena's side to watch. "Remember what I taught you, Lyon!" He claps loudly. "Knock him down!"

There's a short burst of laughter from the crowd. Douser watches his opponent approach, taking note of the young boy's stance and footing, the sword that seems almost too heavy for him. " So Lyon, how long have you had Goaner for your trainer? He wouldn't be able to teach a horse to trot, let alone someone how to use a sword."

"Oh, come off it Douser." The trainer waves away Douser's pretend insult. Before they have even drawn swords Douser notes that the boy is exceedingly unprepared, his technique flawed and his timing off as he struggles to hold is own.

Douser steps back from the fight as the boy lunges forwards clumsily, nearly losing his footing on the rough ground, and raises a hand, signalling an end to the fight.

"And you said I was good enough to beat him!" Lyon shoots a look at his trainer and good-naturally shakes his head, exiting the arena to his waiting trainer who claps him on the back encouragingly.

The next opponent bounds into the arena, and Douser recognizes little Leo in an instant. The boy grins up at Douser eagerly, making the first move before the fight has even begun, moving agilely around. His morning training has paid off tremendously. He is light on his feet and a master of the basics.

"Well done. You are certainly more than ready to join the King's league." Douser notes. Leo jumps around the ring for at least a minute, bowing and waving excitedly to the enthusiastic crowd.