Chapter 8: A Hostile Welcome

VIII

Father puts his foot in the stirrup and then lifts me onto the horse's back. It stands steady and still. I giggle as he mounts behind me.

"It must be hard to ride a horse on your own." I pat the horse on the neck, where its thick black mane blows in the wind. Instead of soft, the horse's hair is course and wiry. It snorts in anticipation, stamping a foot impatiently.

"It's easy to ride a horse when you know how. Just like it's easy to do anything when you set your mind to it. You remember you used to try so hard to hit the center of the target when we went out hunting? Do you still try now?"

"Not so much." I answer proudly "I'm getting better at not thinking so much where my arrow has to go."

"That's because it's becoming natural to you now. Soon you won't even think about it. See when you put your mind to it, you can do anything. Say it, Ari. Say 'I can do anything I set my mind to.'"

"I can do anything I set my mind to." I laugh gleefully as the horse picks up its pace, sending us cantering through the woods as the wind tears through our hair and leaves behind a trail of fresh air in its wake.

I awake, startled as something shakes my shoulder, taking a moment to remember where I am, disappointed when the fresh scent of the woods fails to reach my nostrils. Instead the scent of horses and sweat pervades the air.

"We're nearing Cheviot." The knight in front of me announces. The four riders dismount, pulling Seth and I off as well, forced to work between the guards as they lead us towards the city. And never in my life have I ever seen anything so magnificent. I would enjoy this, if I wasn't a prisoner.

Cheviot's gates are huge, carved almost into the very mountains themselves which shroud either side of them. Guards on either side of the turrets signal to ones below, who begin the arduous task of opening the gates, which clang and creak heavily on their hinges.

As we're marched further inside, the horses are handed towards stable hands and we follow a winding path towards the castle. It seems everywhere I look there are signs of people readying themselves for something. They give us wide-eyed looks from their forges, swords and bows lined up outside their workshops. The market venders pause their furious bartering to stare at the small procession. I feel extremely tiny at this moment. I edge closer to Seth, and he doesn't even give me an amused look. I get the feeling he is just as nervous as I am.

^^^

Douser frowns, pausing in his stride. "Excuse me friends, but I believe you're blocking the way out." He says pleasantly.

"You're not going anywhere." One of them snarls. "Don't expect us to be humiliated by you in front of the King and just accept it because you think you're so high above us all."

Douser raises an eyebrow in amusement. "Is that so?"

"You may think you can get away with anything because you're the King's favourite, but you will not get away with humiliating us. This deserves punishment." The two Sha next to him wordlessly nod in agreement.

Douser puts his hand on his sword. "Gentlemen, are you entirely in agreement that you would really like to go that far?"

"Tomorrow! In my arena." The King interrupts with a clap of his hands, his eyes gleaming in excitement. "I love a tournament! We haven't had need of one as late. We'll invite everyone from Stonygate to attend. I believe this is just what the village needs to take its mind off these peasant uprisings."