𝐱𝐱𝐯𝐢𝐢𝐢. lost heart

chapter twenty-eight

chapter twenty-eight. . .
lost heart

"DURING THE ATTACK on the City of Bones, Jace Wayland fought bravely," Victor Aldetree had set up a briefing in the Ops Centre of the Institute, knowing that Jace's return home was due to bring questions and some doubts in his return as they had remembered the fact he had gone off with Valentine willingly. Malia was happy, like some of her friends of her half-brother's return, having him back somehow was uplifting even with Jocelyn's death. "and thus the Clave, in their wisdom, has exonerated him from all crimes." Victor explained as Malia cracked a smile whilst glancing at the blonde who questioned if everyone else were just as happy as Malia with his return. "And the Chief Physician in Idris reports that Lydia Branwell's condition continues to improve."

Jace stood between Malia and Isabelle, noticing how the Lightwood who had been stabbed in the back had seemingly recovered within a click of a finger. "Out of the infirmary in record time. Looking good."

Isabelle shrugged. "I always look good." Her smile soon faded noticing her brother's absence. "Why isn't Alec here?" She asked in concern.

"He needs some space."

"We face a new threat." Victor told whilst Zane had approached the banshee as she stood in the middle of the Ops Centre to listen to what Victor had to say even though they all knew, it was jus more formal to do a meeting. "Valentine has the Mortal Cup, and now possesses the Soul-Sword, two of the three Mortal Instruments. Our mission now is to find out what he plans to do with them and when."

Malia had cleared her throat once in realisation that eyes had focused to where she stood. They didn't exactly stare at her, but the blonde standing beside her who could feel the eyes on him and he tried his best to ignore it but with how he stiffened Malia doubted if it was possible. "Are you okay?" Malia asked.

"I'm fine." Jace reassured. "But apparently no one else is, judging by the way they're looking at me."

Malia frowned slightly just as Isabelle had worked up an apology she knew that Jace deserved. "Jace, I'm sorry for letting them take you to the City of Bones."

"Hey." Zane's hand rested on Malia's lower back with a faint smile. "You okay?" Malia hummed in response. "How's Clary doing?"

"I-I've been giving her some space." Malia mumbled towards Zane. "Being a harbinger of death, I doubt she wants to be around me right now given her mother just died. Simon's with her, trying to keep her company."

"Tomorrow night's Rite of Passage will bring the total number of dead to 26 fallen Silent Brothers and three Shadowhunters." Victor reminded and which had caused a frown to play on the banshee's lips. "Take this time to grieve and plan for what lies ahead. Your orders will follow."