My mind was consumed with thoughts and fear as I reached for my necklace and looked at the pendant. It was a silver locket with a mermaid etched on it, a rare piece gifted to me by a wealthy merchant. I opened the locket and found a tiny portrait of my late father and mother on one side and my dear Raya on the other. I stared at them for a moment, tears welling up in my eyes. I closed the pendant, held it tightly in my hand, pressed it against my chest and swallowed my tears before drifting off to sleep.

I awoke a few hours later, the sun had risen in the sky. I sat up in the bed and looked around. To my surprise, there was a bucket of water under the window, with a piece of cloth hanging on its side. I quickly moved towards it and soaked the cloth in the water, preparing to wipe my face. I hesitated for a moment, wondering if the bucket and cloth were meant for Agenor and not me. But I quickly dismissed the thought, remembering how dirty I was, and began cleaning myself. I also noticed that a chamber pot had been set nearby, within my reach. I was almost certain that it was for me to use.

The thoughtful gesture made me feel relieved, as it meant that I wouldn't be sold that day. However, it also meant that I wouldn't be leaving Martina just yet. As I finished cleaning myself, I rinsed the blue handkerchief and tied it around my head again. It wasn't completely clean, but the pressure it provided on my head helped ease the discomfort.

I tested the length of the chain, and I could only take a couple of steps further. It didn't even allow me to reach the table or the chairs around it. Within my reach, there were only a few wooden boxes in the corner next to the bed, the window, and that was about it. From a standing position, I could see the sea. I stood there, staring and listening to the soothing sound of the waves.

I heard the door open and turned my head. A small head popped in and smiled at me with wide eyes, as if he had seen something unexpected. "Morning, mate," he said.

I stared at him. He was a very young person, probably around fifteen. What would a young person be doing on a ship like this? The thought made me feel uneasy.

He glanced behind him, then walked backward into the room, quickly closing the door and running towards me. Up close, he was the same height as me, but still had a youthful appearance. He had curly brown hair and hazel eyes. He stared at me closely, moving his head back and forth to examine my body. It made me feel uncomfortable, but I held my ground.

"Wow! You're alive! And in one piece! Overall, anyway. I guess I won then! Hey, so tell me, which one was it?"

"I beg your pardon?" I asked, confused.

"Which finger? It must be a finger if you're still standing. So, which one? Did he break it? Cut it? Or was it a toe? You don't look like someone who just lost a dick or a ball," he said, with a grin on his face.

He suddenly grabbed my hands, and I immediately yanked them away and stepped back.

His words and behavior made me feel uneasy, and I didn't understand what he was talking about. His sudden grab of my hands also startled me and made me feel uncomfortable.

"I'm not sure I understand what you're-"

"Hold on a moment," he said, examining me from head to toe. "Don't tell me he didn't hurt you? God, you're the luckiest one ever!"

I glared at him, confused as to how any of my current circumstances could be considered lucky.

"Oh, don't give me that look. You defied the captain! You stood up to Agenor and still kept your head and limbs. Do you know how many times that's happened? Never. I lost a bet because of it. I was sure you'd end up with a broken leg or a chopped finger. There's a bet going on about whether you'll be found hanged or missing a limb. A lot of people will be disappointed. Some even gave you nicknames," he said, with a hint of sarcasm.