Chapter Four- I Quit

Nick and I sit across from each other at my kitchen table while he holds an ice pack to his swollen eye. He hasn't spoken a word since Ryder left, but it's probably because he's completely out of it. There's so many questions I want to ask him, but I know now probably isn't a good time. Ryder really did a number on him and I'm surprised he was able to pull himself up off the floor once it was all over.

"How long have you been seeing him?" He finally asks, although it's more of a mumble.

"Nick, I'm not seeing him, I barely even know him. I told you, he just gave me a ride home because I wrecked my car."

"You're lying. The way he attacked me...you really expect me to believe that there's nothing going on between the two of you?"

I roll my eyes, not bothering to hide my annoyance with him. "I honestly don't care what you believe. You shouldn't have broken into my apartment in the first place."

"I didn't break in," he says, looking away from me, "I got a key from the front office."

"How? I had the lock changed months ago."

"Lauren gave me your spare key. I told her I lost mine."

"Lauren? As in the girl at the front office who's in love with you?" I ask in disbelief.

He chuckles arrogantly. "That's the one."

I squeeze my eyes shut and count to ten. The more he talks, the more I don't care that his face looks like he was attacked by a rabid dog. "Just give me the key back. I don't want you coming around here again."

I stand up from my chair and take the ice pack off Nick's face and toss it into the sink. "You can leave now."

He scoffs as he stands up from his chair. "You're making a big mistake by letting me go, Courtney. I'm the best thing that's ever happened to you and you know it."

No amount of counting can calm down the fire rising up inside of me. But instead of lashing out at him, I decide to hit him where it hurts. "Actually, Nick, the best thing that ever happened to me was watching you get your ass kicked."

His mouth drops open and he looks at me in complete shock. "How can you say that? After two amazing years together-"

"I'd hardly call them amazing," I interrupt, but he keeps on talking as if he didn't hear me.

"You can't possibly think you're ever going to find anyone better than me. I'm the total package."

I try holding back my smirk, but it comes bursting across my face, eventually turning into full blown laughter.

I'm the total package.

Tears begin streaming down my face as I continue my fit of laughter. Nick just stares at me like he's about to explode. "What the hell is so funny?"

After several failed attempts of getting my laughter under control, it finally subsides and I take a deep breath. "Sorry, it's just that you said you were the total package," I say, using air quotes, "And that's the funniest joke I've ever heard. You could totally add comedian to that package."

He scowls at me. "That was our problem, you know? You never took me seriously. You always treated me like I wasn't good enough for you and that's why I cheated. I needed someone who believed in me. Someone that would put me first-"

"And did you get that with her, Nick? Did she put you first?" I ask.

He doesn't answer, but he doesn't need to. Him showing up at my apartment tonight, unannounced, is all the proof I need to know that his relationship with Missy has ended or is at least heading in that direction.