Chapter 5.

Before me stood the stranger from the party. She was clad in black from head to toe, as if the midnight sky itself had wrapped around her and flowed gracefully over her body. She began walking towards me.

"What are you doing in my room?" My voice wavered as I took a small step back.

"I just came to visit Darling, I mean you no harm, relax." My body responded almost unwillingly to her command and my tense muscles began to calm. As if I was her marionette and her words were the very strings which controlled me. The false sense of calm seemed to make me even more terrified and for some ridiculous reason my body would not respond to this fear of mine.

"Whos the trinket for?" She asked while strolling over to the bracelet I had just recently put away. She slowly pulled it out from the place I had tucked it away so carefully.

"I-I got it for myself, I just thought it was pretty" I trailed off awkwardly in an attempt to portray normalcy, and failing massively. I shouldn't be so embarrassed about it, it's perfectly common to get friends gifts. Is that what me and Muriel are? Friends? Oh Holy Lord I hope so, she is such a kind person.

The stranger let out a melodic laugh.

"I don't think it's quite your style love."

She dropped Muriel's bracelet onto the ground carelessly as she strolled over to me. Her grace making her appear to be floating across the room. Her hand made its way to my cheek, cupping my face gently and getting a little too close for comfort. Her eyes bore into mine like they were searching for something. I was frozen, her gaze had me locked in place and my feet would not move back no matter how much I willed them. She let out an exasperated sigh before retreating her hand from my face and slowly strolling towards the window.

"Do you not remember anything?" She asked, turning to face me, her stare appearing desperate. I can't say I know what she meant and so I continue to stare back at her, blankly.

"Stupid humans" she muttered under her breath before disappearing out the window. In hopes of catching a glimpse of her leaving I stumble towards the window and pop my head out. Looking around the almost pitch black landscape desperately. She was gone.

My attention turns to the bracelet that was so thoughtlessly disregarded by the midnight clad stranger who has began to haunt my thoughts. This whole anonymous stranger ordeal has gotten quite tiring. At first I saw her as alluring and friendly, but now she reminds me more of a predator. The sight of her smile is no longer comforting it is eerie, my heart races and I can't help but want to flee. Like a hare being chased by a fox.

Slowly I bend down to retrieve Muriel's gift. Once again rolling the smooth wood beads in between my thumb and finger as I pick it up and place it back in the spot I had designated for it earlier. Wrapping it once again in the handkerchief and tucking it away to give to Muriel in the morning.

I stripdown and change into my sleepwear before laying down in bed. My thoughts plagued by that dastardly stranger.

***

"- and I was so surprised when I got the letter darling. I truly thought your boorish attitude would have frightened the poor man away. Surely it would have frightened anyone away but not Mr.Shepherd. Mr.Shepherd is a strong determined man and he believes he could make a good wife out of you yet. Could you just imagine it? My Eleanor? A good wife to a good tradesman...."

Mother had been ranting on like this for the past hour and a half. Apparently my attempts to avoid the courting of another brutish male have failed. I can't help but feel a little sad about it. I guess I will have to make myself seem even more revolting to the old sack of porridge. I continued to play with whatever this slop was in front of me as mother chattered on in glee about how this man will "whip me into shape" and "make a good woman out of me." Those almost sounded like aggressive threats. What shape exactly would he whip me into? Because I am quite reluctant to join the world of squares that him and my mother partake in.

All they talk about is the colonies and new teas and religion. It really isn't that exciting. How they manage to entertain themselves with it alludes me.

After finishing the slop, which I assume was made of potatoes, I quickly darted out of my mothers presence and up to my room before she could manage to utter a word of defiance.

I attempted to keep my mind on my book as I waited for Muriel to arrive but my mind kept drifting to the stranger last night. My eyes constantly wandered to the nearby window and in my paranoid state I ran over to it slammed it closed and latched it shut, closing the curtains for good measure. My room was now significantly darker as my curtains streamed out what little light I had for reading before. I sighed and walked over to my bed, laying down in defeat and staring at my ceiling in hopes that it would provide some sort of entertainment.

After many minutes had passed with me gazing pointlessly at my ceiling I heard a soft knock at the door.

"Eleanor? I have your mid-day meal" Muriel's soft voice called from behind the door.

"Come in" I shouted back, refusing to move from my current position.

I heard the door creak open followed by her soft footsteps and then a whimsical giggle.

"Eleanor, would it be rude of me to ask why in the world you are staring at your ceiling?" I scoffed in response as she continued to giggle quietly.

"It would be quite rude Muriel, for can't you see? I am stargazing"

She laughed quietly again before clearing her throat in an attempt of hiding it.

"Oh really? Mind if I join you then?" She said as she made her way towards my bed and gestured to the spot beside me.

"Not at all"

We only managed to lay there for less than a minute before Muriel burst into a fit of giggles.

"This is ridiculous!" She exclaimed between long chains of laughter. I sat up and smiled watching her laugh to the point of tears.

"You're ridiculous, my stargazing adventure was going quite well before you" I pointed out.

"Was it really?" She questioned calming herself.

"Yes"

"Well then you have no need for me, I guess I'll leave" She began to move off my bed when I unthinkingly lunged towards her and grabbed her wrist.

"Don't" I mumbled awkwardly as I released her arm. "I have something for you". She stopped moving and turned to face me once again, a look of awe on her face. 

"Just wait here for a second" I muttered as I made my way to the safely tucked away bracelet. Slowly I unfolded the cloth protecting her gift as she watched me in silence. We walked towards each other meeting in the center of the room as she raised her wrist. Neither of us saying anything. After the wood bracelet was securely fastened around her wrist she began to stroke the beads and observe it carefully. 

"It's beautiful... thank you"  She said softly. I meant to go on and rant about how it was really no big deal when she lunged forward and forced me into a tight embrace. She was warm and soft, her body melting against mine. I stood rigid as she hugged me, to awkward to move. I let out a quite "You're welcome" before clearing my throat and taking a step back, breaking our contact. "You should probably get going, I don't want to keep you from work" I stated lamely. She responded with a soft nod of her head before she turned and walked out of the room.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Eyyyyyyyy heres that chapter I promised ages ago, enjoy I guess. Please feel free to message me with any suggestions. 90% of the time I need help haha. Hope you have a lovely day!! New Chapter will be up hopefully within the month of February! 

- Shay