3. Virenaids

Come closer, you know you want to

Swim to me, in the blue water

I promise I'll take good care of you

I'll treat you better than your daughter

On the rock, Kayla internally winced at the last line -- making up rhymed on the spot was quite hard. However, her song had done the trick. Within seconds, the young man was already in the water, halfway to her.

I swear I'll make it worth it

You won't want to go back

You prob'ly don't deserve it

But I need my snack

There were white orbs in the man's pupils as he blinked up at her. "I'm here," he said in a monotone voice.

Kayla let out a laugh that sounded like bells were ringing. "I see you, sweetie," she said in a dangerously sweet voice. She lowered herself into the water with a quiet splash and allowed her silver tail to wrap around the man's legs as she ran her arms around him. "What's your name, sweetie?"

"My name is Samuel Percy," he recited in the same tone as before.

Kayla pulled the man closer towards her. "That's a beautiful name, sweetie," she murmured. She closed her eyes as she leaned into the side of his neck. "You smell so good, sweetie. I wish I didn't have to do this."

She waited until the moonlight shone directly down on them. Immediately, Kayla lifted the curse she put on Samuel. She loved it when they panicked.

"Woah, what the hell?" Samuel tried to push away, but it was useless; the strongest man in the world couldn't win against a Virenaid. "Who are y-- is that a tail?"

"Scream louder, sweetie," Kayla whispered as she felt her teeth elongating. "I love it when you scream."

"Woah, what the f--"

Kayla was done stalling. Without hesitation, she sank her fangs into Samuel's neck.

The more he screamed and tried to push away, the tighter Kayla held a grip on him. She didn't loosen her hold until Samuel's body went completely limp, and even then she made sure to suck out every single drop off blood in him before letting his body go.

She didn't need to see herself to know what was happening to her. With the man's blood in her body, any wrinkles, scars, or blemishes disappeared from her body. Her scales turned shinier, her form turned fuller. In front of her, Samuel's body shimmered and compressed itself to a small silver scale before Kayla grabbed it and attached it to her bracelet.

"You were delicious, sweetie," Kayla said as she caressed the scale that had once been Samuel Percy. "But you are now a mere decoration to my body." She lowered her right arm and looked up at the moon.

All Virenaids showed respect to the moon. She had created the first Virenaid on the night of a full moon on the leap year. Since then, a new Virenaid was created every full moon, while the oldest died at every blue moon. Virenaids, a mixture of Vampires, Sirens, and Mermaids, were always born naked, but Moon taught them to earn scales to cover and decorate their bodies, and stay at the same beautiful age forever. Every full moon, after each Virenaid had taken her fill, she always paid homage to Moon.

"Thank you, Moon," she said to the full moon above her. "He was wonderful." Then, she dove down into the water so the next Virenaid could go eat.

***

What did you think about the Virenaids? I might write an extended version of this one day (not a novel, but perhaps but a short story) with an actual plot.