::Chapter 35:: The Task

Start from the beginning

"No," that word dashed the hopes of the young man quickly, and he drooped but she continued. "Its too dangerous, if as much as one rock goes awry and hits us, that could very well be the end of us," she explained between sharp breaths.

Bent at the waist and heaving with the effort of every breath, Charlie wondered if she could even continue any further then this. Despite the witches desperate attempts, she was unable to calm her breathing and was slowly turning blue.

They'd have to act fast if they wanted the witch to make it to the bottom of the cliff as well.

Had he not had Arthur on his back, he would have offered her a ride, and he even contemplated it now. Wondering what the chances were that he would be able to carry two people on his back down the mountain.

When Robert made sure that he wasn't going to have to.

He stepped forward and leant down, growling firmly to make it apparent she had no choice in the matter. Not that she exactly had the time to decide that she's rather make the walk down the cliff side. "Get on," he told her.

Just as the words left his lips, as though to persuade the witch to agree. Another great slab of stone went flying past them, much larger and faster than anything they had been faced with beforehand.

Briar watched it zoom past with wide eyes, more emotion lighting her expression then ever before. This time a strange mixture of anger and fear. Though Charlie was beginning to get the feeling she was angry with herself for being so scared.

Right now they didn't have the time to think about their fears, they had to act, and quickly.

For a moment it appeared as though she was going to argue in spite of this, but quickly decided against it. She regarded him with a look, clearly cautious either way as she approached the large wolf, who was taller then her even lying down.

She swung a leg over his back, and dragged herself on less then elegantly, but she was on and safe and that was all that mattered for the time being.

Taking a careful but firm grip of his fur, she had the advantage of being able to hold on with her legs as well, and as a result looked a lot more stable then Arthur felt on his back. Charlie looked at her, stepping with caution to make sure not to distract her.

The group began plunging back down the cliffside once again.

Dodging left and right to avoid the more obvious threats as he began to regain a little control the more used to this strange sport he became. Charlie's bones ached from the impact but he was fuelled on by the fact that no one had died yet.

It was beginning to appear that they may well make it there after all.

Charlie moved to jump again, and he had reached mid air when he heard a shriek of terror from a little way to his right.

Only then did he realise something he hadn't noticed before.

Apparently they weren't the only ones who had survived both the explosion and the fire.

He saw a witch armed with a gun at the top of the cliff, aimed directly at them.

Everything went into slow motion and the only thing Charlie heard was the sound of a gunshot.

It felt as though a hole had been torn straight through him, which was probable. It sent him tumbling to the ground hard and it sent him skidding down. A scream tearing from his lungs as he went down.

Feeling Arthur lose his grip, the young man skidded further down the cliff then him but as Charlie forced himself back to his paws he didn't have the opportunity to try and help him.