Chapter 15

On Sunday afternoons, Grigor, Felik, Mitko, Zoya, and the bakery owner Polina would gather in the room with other patrons above Matryoshka. In the midst of steam of coffee, they huddled in front of a huge flat-screen TV to watch Charlotte's videos of the previous games.

Once the coaches found out about Olive's baseball brain, she became the key part of 'the Tactical Team'. They would analyze the game, debating about the latest strategies used by professional leagues and plan next week's training schedule.

I tagged along with Olive, not because I wanted to discuss the tactics, but because Charlotte was also there in those Sunday sessions. But I didn't understand half of what they were talking about, and my eyes would wander away from the screen to the blonde girl. At one point, she turned as if she could feel my stare and caught me looking. I almost died right there but Charlotte just gave me a smile and looked back. No one knew my heart was galloping as if it wanted to sprint out of my chest. I had to get up and walk to the bathroom.

Inside I splashed my face with cold water and tried to breathe slowly. I wondered if Charlotte thought I was being a creep. After I got out again, I heard an eruption of noise from the TV set. I saw the part where I made a successful catch. Everyone clapped their hands, but this time it wasn't about what I did on the field, it was how the movie had presented me. I never knew that in the footage, I looked quite heroic. In fact, Charlotte had put a lot of work into making everyone a hero of her own. You could see how each player strove to act their role in the game, it was almost emotional to watch.

Then Felik was making a huge fuss of Charlotte. She was smiling, a bit embarrassed, while he raved on.

"Charlotte's documentary about the team has won a TV competition!" Felik announced to us.

Charlotte blushed again. The CNN sports was running a competition for documentary filmmakers. They were going to pick out the best ones and show them on TV. Charlotte's teacher, without telling her, had entered her baseball footage. Charlotte had made it to the shortlist and got nominated.

I wasn't surprised- Charlotte's stuff was really great. If we didn't know better, we would think it was made by some professional TV crew. And why did she seem so odd about it? If it was me, I'd be jumping around like an excited monkey. But Charlotte wasn't. That's what so cool about her.

"I still have to finish off for the final and then resubmit the complete production for the highlight overview," she said. "Technically, I haven't won anything yet."

Felik put his hand up to stop her running herself down.

"We don't want to hear that talk. Me and Grigor- everyone here - we've seen the quality of work. A magnificent feel for the game. We are very very proud of you. To Charlotte!"

He raised his glass to make a toast. Charlotte squirmed with embarrassment again.

Then Felik gave her a European-style kiss-a little peck on one cheek and then the other cheek. Zoya and Polina did the same to her, and for some crazy reason, I decided I should try it too. I stepped forward.

"Congratulations, Charlotte," I said and went to give her the kiss on each cheek. Trouble was, I felt so nervous, I wrecked the timing and we whacked noses. We both froze for a tiny moment. I tried to brush the awkwardness and leaned in for another cheek. This time we cracked foreheads with a sharp bony sound and I staggered back, dizzy.

I noticed Olive was facepalming herself over what a disappointment I was. Before I knew it, Charlotte was whisked away by a mob of noisy Russians congratulating her. I'd blown my chance.

~*~

I was supposed to be doing a training drill with Olive, but she was distracted. Mooning after Nora, as usual.