ii: Six Weeks Later

"Nice of you to grace us with your presence, Owens," Ian growled, vanishing from Annakiya's side and reappearing just in time to sweep Charlotte into a bone-crushing hug. "I thought you weren't coming".

Charlotte gazed at him and laughed. "So did I, but... I was afraid I'd miss out on something... exciting..." Her words trailed off as she caught sight of James hovering at the back of the group. Her breath caught in her throat. He wasn't supposed to be there. That was one of the reasons she had managed to brave herself for the journey. She balled her fists to stop the tremble in her fingers, annoyed at her sudden show of weakness and panic. She shook her head and forced a smile.

The others beamed at her and moved towards her, one after another, embracing her. All except James. She was glad of that at least. She didn't think she could bear it.

"It's so good to see you," Kiya said as she hugged her tightly.

"Yeah, you left without a word – you frightened us," Cary grumbled, squeezing her too tight.

"Yeah... well... I had some things to sort out and Caroline and Andrew... my parents..." she paused, wishing she didn't sound as pathetic as she did. "I just needed to be there for them. They took all of this pretty hard, and I needed to clear my head too. It was an intense few months".

"You mean you were sick of the sight of us?" Ian retorted.

"No – just you, O'Connell," she replied as the others welcomed her. A lightness fell over the group, or over her friends at least. James wavered in silence just outside the group. She didn't look to him. She couldn't acknowledge him, but she was always aware of where he was, who he was with. Time seemed to drag. She knew she could hardly just leave now that she had come so far, but the invisible wounds left in the wake of the disaster that started with James vanishing in DC were beginning to become undone. She smiled tightly at her friends, listened to their news and stories, but she didn't really hear them.

"Maybe we should go down and get some lunch," Wallace finally proposed and Charlotte thanked her silently, glad of the distraction.

"Is it not beyond creepy to be eating in a place where we know so many people have died?" Ian asked.

"You mean that we've killed?" Cary grunted.

"Six of one, half a dozen of another," Ian shrugged. "It's creepy right, though?"

"I didn't think you were such a chicken, O'Connell," Kiya grinned. "It's not that attractive on you".

"Who are you kidding? You adore me, Fall!" They began to leave, trekking downstairs to whatever space they had designated as an area to eat. Charlotte stood with Ian and Kiya, waiting for the others to pass, when James called after her.

"Charlotte?" She winced at his voice and tried to seem strong, stronger than him at least. He didn't need to see the cracks she was barely able to hold together.

She paused at the door and turned back to him.

"I'll leave you two catch up," Ian breathed, linking his fingers with Annakiya's. Charlotte stared at Ian, pleading with her eyes for him to stay with her, but he didn't seem to notice her silent cries for support.

Silence enveloped them once Ian and Annakiya had followed the others downstairs.

"I'm sorry for not thanking you for saving my life," Charlotte finally muttered. James gazed at her, his cheeks burning red. He ran his hands through his hair and gritted his jaw. Butterflies surged in Charlotte's stomach, a painful sense of emptiness accompanying them. This was exactly what she was afraid of.