Thirty-Four: Understanding

The morning had matured, the sky turning a clear, azure blue. The wind that blew was fresh, but wasted on those now gathered in the dining room. Ian paced the floor back and forth, his fright and worry still palpable. Charlotte sat at the table, her eyes closed, a wet, flannel cloth over her forehead. She tried not to move too much, fearing she would throw up. Ethan was gazing out the window, his eyes glazed over, his arms clasped behind his back. Wallace was standing with Matt both hovering closely beside the door. Carrie had his fists curled on the table, his body rigid with tension.

"What the hell was that?" Ian exhaled after the silence had stretched on too long.

Charlotte opened her eyes, shifting only slightly in the chair and removing the damp cloth. "He was having some sort of episode," she breathed. "I think it was from before we rescued him". She tried not to think too much on it. The fear he felt had been enough to wake her up, sending her running to his room. It had been harder to keep her alteration under control.

"He just lapsed into some sort of episode, just like that?" Carrie breathed.

"You said a waking nightmare!" Ian complained.

"I..." Charlotte trembled. "It woke me up. I could already see it, feel it all around me. His fear was so strong. I was already connected to it, whether I caused it, or I was just drawn to it I don't know, but it was violent. Smoke and fire. I could taste it".

"That's it?" Ethan prompted

"And voices," she breathed. "But whatever it was he knew it. He recognised it".

"What did the voices say?" Ethan continued.

"That it was all give and take. That they would give him back to take something more. They said that he was her gift".

"Her gift? What does that mean?" Ian asked.

Ethan seemed contemplative. "Anything else?"

"Alexander warned that they would come to take what they really wanted," Ian frowned. "That they didn't want him and that nobody was safe here".

Ethan frowned, gazing out the window. Charlotte tapped her finger against her temple waiting for the pain to subside. What did it mean? Was it certain, a premonition or a hunch? Did James know something they didn't? Could they risk not taking him seriously?

"He's sleeping," Harris interrupted appearing in the doorway. "He'll be fine. It was nothing that would do lasting harm".

Charlotte exhaled a sigh of relief. Carrie relaxed in his seat. Ian stopped pacing.

Ethan turned around and nodded, but his expression was grim. "I think it's time we prepare for an attack," he frowned. "If James is right, we need to be ready".

Thanks again for reading! That's the last of a triple update to prove to you just how ashamed I am for not having updated since August! Please vote, comment and share if you enjoyed this little snippet and are excited to see what happens next! So happy 2017! And keep an eye open for the next update! Sorcha x