When I open the closet with the towels, there are two that are new. Reaching to pull them out, it's hard to miss they have something embroidered on them. His and Hers.

Tears swell in my eyes as I see he's spelled out what he clearly wants for our future. Swallowing the lump in my throat, I proceed to the kitchen. My heart's beating like a drum, and my stomach is swirling with butterflies. As soon as I cross the threshold to the kitchen, there is a Rubbermaid cake plate. A sticky note is attached.

Bring this with you to the creek. No forks or other eating utensils needed.

Taking a deep breath, I close my eyes to keep the wetness from spilling down my cheeks. The Creek...he's here. I know he's here. Continuing to fight back the tears that are forming, my hands are tremble as I carefully place the cake plate in my arms, assuming it could only be Memaw's Red Velvet cake. Glancing around the house, I recognize the silence that my heart has been drowning out. Where is she? She'd usually be home and cooking. Before opening the back door, I see there's another piece of paper taped to the door.

Don't worry about Memaw. She went out with The Episcopal Church Women for dinner.

Naturally he'd know I'd be worried about her. It's now clear she's definitely a part of this little game. The smiley face makes me giggle. Adorable. I love this man. Pushing the door open with my side, my feet slowly step down the few steps while trying to balance all of the goodies that have been left for me to tote to the creek. He should have left me basket. A laugh escapes. Or something.

Unable to run to the creek because of the cake, I carefully walk at the briskest pace possible. My mind continues to race wondering what he's up to with this scavenger hunt. The questions stir as to how he's even here. How could he have kept this from me?

The water becomes visible, yet he's not there. Instead, my eyes are drawn to more rocks in the formation of an arrow pointing to the direction of our field. Glancing down, I make sure to avoid anything that would result in red itchiness. Briefly there flashes of him from when we were kids. He's smiling at me as I nearly walk straight into the pesky plant. "Watch out for that poison oak right there," plays in my mind as if it were seared into memory like the CD he burnt for me all those years ago.

My heart pounds so fast in my chest that I can hear the vibrations in my ears. Approaching the open pasture, Home by Ry Cuming is playing. Inhaling a deep cleansing breath while my stomach flips, I take a step closer to a big heart made out of wild flowers. In the middle of it, is Stone. In the flesh. He's here lying back watching...waiting. Unable to hold back the tears from earlier, they begin to stream down my face in a steady flow as I read the message below his crossed feet.

Marry Me in red roses.

My Drew, my Stone. Forever mine. My hands tremble causing me to nearly drop the cake plate. My eyes are fixated on him as he gets up and takes several long strides to me. The smile on his face is infectious.

"What are you doing here?" I ask, my voice strained.

"I'm out. I'm done with the military. I wanted to surprise you. I didn't re-enlist. I've known for some time I'd be home earlier than I told you."

Turning my head, breaking our gaze, I continue to try to inhale and fight the sobs. I shake my head because this is just so much to take in at one time. When will it sink in for me?

He reaches out and takes the cake plate from me, "This is for later."

"Red Velvet?" I whisper.

He winks. "Of course."

Then, he grasps my empty hand, walking us to the flower heart. He leans over and puts the cake down onto a picnic blanket that is being anchored by a basket. When he turns around, he wraps his arms around my waist and pulls me close and everything I'd been holding falls to the ground. Stone rubs his nose against mine, inhales and moans. "I have missed holding you so much."

"Me, too," I murmur into his neck, running my fingers through his hair. Words aren't freely flowing for me. He has a way of making me speechless.

He pulls away and brushes my hair back, caressing my cheeks. "Someone wise once told me that when I found a girl who made me want to love her for always and in all ways, I'd found the one. It was after I'd had to leave you during my first deployment. I knew even then that you were that person for me. So when I saw you before the explosion, that brief moment, I knew that I'd been given another chance. Except, this time, the only way I will ever leave you is when death do us part."

Nodding, I try to swallow, but my mouth feels like it's been stuffed full of cotton. The bricks that always seemed to occupy my chest during the most horrible times in my life are there once more, but this time, instead of crushing me, there's a feeling a of fullness. My cup runneth over.

He continues. "Diamonds are rare, beautiful, and precious stones. Let me explain how this one is different from all the rest." He opens the Tiffany blue box. "This is a heart shaped diamond, but it almost looks like a tear drop."

I gasp. "It's beautiful. Not what I'd expect a heart ring to look like."

"Right." He glances up at me. "I came to your house to find you the day that Papa passed away, but we talked for hours before the heart attack."

Not sure how this has anything to do with his proposal. I inhale and try to swallow back the waves of emotion.

"I knew I'd marry you." He shrugs. "You saying 'no' wasn't even an option." He kisses the ring. "He asked me if I'd get you a heart shaped diamond so you'd always have the Hart name with you, close to your heart, even after your name changed."

Releasing his hand so I can cover my mouth, my cries grow in intensity and frequency. I try to speak, but it's like my voice is gone. Nothing comes out.

"This was custom made just for you. I wanted it to also look like a tear drop. A reminder of the tears you've shed. A reminder of your parents. If not for their tragedy, I don't know that I'd have you." And for the first time, I see a tear escape his eye.

I brush it with the pad of my finger. "Oh, Stone."

He clenches his eyes closed and then he opens them. "Alex, everything happens for a reason. Even when we don't understand why. I'd bring them back if I could. I'd erase all of the hurt you've had." He shakes his head. "But I can't." He picks my finger up and places the ring on it. "I told you once that I'd tell you what to do with those tears." He swipes them from my cheeks, and kisses them. "I'm promising you right now that I'll catch them for the rest of my life. I'm promising that I'll do everything in my power to make sure they are only tears of joy, not sorrow."

Unable to take anymore, I throw my arms around his neck. "Are you done yet? Because the answer is yes. Yes, a million times yes. Just kiss me already!"

He chuckles as I nearly tackle him. Our lips lock, and it's like our hearts are being welded together, for eternity.

When he pulls back, he says, "I wasn't done yet."

"Okay, well finish. By all means. I want to hear everything. We've got nothin' but time," I laugh.

He smiles. "Now. Out of all the rocks and stones I've ever given you, this is the only one you don't have permission to ever skip. Promise me you'll wear it for the rest of your life."

My heart flutters. "I promise. And someone once taught me to never break promises."