The Tiger's Tragedy

Babur

My eyes open as the dawn comes to light the sky in a radiance of reds and golds. I watch the clouds lazily moves across the horizon and wonder if it will rain today. Rain will make my fur mat and I find it uncomfortable. I yawn and stretch my arms in a wide cat stretch. My hands will only be human for a few more minutes and then I will change into my other form. That of the beast the villagers fear.

I am cursed. I live as a human by night and a tiger by day. At night I sleep in whatever safe hole I can find, a cave or up in a tree sometimes. During the day I run. I must run from the hunters who would kill me and take my skin as a trophy. They believe I am dangerous and that they are doing a service to the villagers. I only ate a few sheep the one time when I was really hungry, but I guess that is all it takes.

I could kill them. I could pick them off one by one, but that is not who I am. I am just a cursed boy stuck in this endless cycle of change and chase.

Khan

"I will take care of the beast your majesty. Never fear." I waved my hand, dismissing the difficulty of the task. I was not just a hunter, but a seasoned warrior with plenty of experience in tracking and hunting the cleverest of foes.

"Good. This has gone on too long now. My cousin is constantly complaining of the beast that roams his forest. You do this for me and I will give you a good piece of land by the river with plenty of servants." The king nodded and waved me away. I smiled as I left, giddy at the prospect of finally having my own place. No longer would I have to travel from household to household for work, nor live in the barracks with other soldiers and guards.

I would pack my things and leave tonight. The sooner I could scout out the location and get my bearings the better. I figured I would have the beast in my sights within a month of arriving at the most. I took enough for a long stay just in case though. In my experience there was always something that could go wrong when you were out in the wilderness. It was best to be prepared.

I was looking forward to this hunt, or rather the end of it. Soon I would have a home to call my own.

Babur

There was a new player in the game. I watched him for a few days to see what he was about. He ignored the other hunters and travelled the forest methodically, checking all the spots I had been carefully. He was a hunter, yes, but far more experienced and cunning than I had seen before. This was a hunter of men. The way he mapped my favorite spots, set traps in strange places, and seemed to give me credit for intelligence was dangerous.

My evenings were now filled with dismantling the traps I knew I couldn't avoid as a cat. My days were full of circling back to places in loops without rhythm so he didn't know where I would be. My schedule was off. I wasn't eating or sleeping like I used to be able to. He was too cunning for me to let my guard down. It made my days more exciting and I admit I was happy to stretch out the chase.

There was one point when we caught sight of each other. He was looking up from the bottom of the waterfall to see if there was a way to climb up easily. I decided there was not much danger, since there was no way to climb the sharp, steep stones without potentially falling onto deadly rocks. I poked my head out of the greenery and leaned over to watch him. We looked at each other, sizing each other up.

He was still, taking in my massive size and ferocious visage. I licked my lips and yawned, flopping down onto the soft moss and flicking my tail as I took in his light armour and large scimitar strapped to his back. He murmured to himself, but I couldn't hear it over the rush of water. He was a tall man, well built from his profession, and his black hair gleamed healthy in the sun. His blue eyes were strikingly beautiful.