Proposals and Mergers

"Are you sure you want to do this, your highness?" The grave man asked the lone figure sitting in the high back chair. The king nodded solemnly as he stared broodingly into the fire. The advisor sighed heavily in disappointment. "You know that this could mean war, your majesty?"

"Yes, I am very aware of the repercussions of my actions, Lord Biron. I made an oath and I will not go back on it." He growled in frustration. It was their fault, stupidly coming here and trying to pawn their children off on him just because he was unwed. He swore that this cursed blood of his would end with him, and he was not going to change his mind just because they wanted him to wed a daughter.

"Then let us not keep them waiting, sire. You must refuse the princess and try to make amends for it." He urged the man who didn't seem keen on moving.

"Why should I make amends? I have never suggested that I wanted a wife, nor have I ever suggested an alliance with their family. We are already friends." The king growled in frustration. In fact, he made a point of not even sleeping with whores and touting that he would die a bachelor.

"It will be considered an insult, and you know it. To be offered a lovely young woman of impeccable bloodlines and the chance to join two very prestigious households... they will think you are mad." He finally grew impatient with his king and growled back. Finally, the king cracked a smile and boomed out his laughter.

"Aye, perhaps I am mad. That is just the problem. Two kings before me have lost their minds, Jeoffry. I'll not risk passing on this curse." It was the first time in ages the two had spoken of it. Lord Biron regretted momentarily bringing up such sorrowful memories.

"I know, sire. Come, let's try to let them down gently shall we?" He smiled at his king and the man huffed and got to his feet. He led the way down the hall and through the turning passages to the Great Hall, where he knew their guests were waiting. The whole family had come for the event from the looks of things.

"Welcome, honoured guests! Welcome to my home. Please come and sit with me at my table. What brings you so far from your home?" The king called jovially, clapping his friend and fellow monarch on the shoulder with familiarity and giving the queen a peck on the cheek in welcome. He waved them to comfortable chairs that had been hastily set up around the fire.

He was surprised as well to see that they had brought the whole family. There were at least three young men and two women with them, all younger than him by at least five years or so. The girls were somewhat shy, but not in a nervous way. Two of the boys were looking around them in a bit of awe, and whispering to each other. The third was staring at him unapologetically when he met his gaze. He tilted his head and smiled at the man.

That seemed to affect the prince, he blinked and raised a brow as he gave the king a curious once-over from head to toe. He could see the prince was calculating something in that brain of his as he made small talk with the parents. Suddenly he felt the conversation shift in a dangerous direction and switched his attention so he might not slip up and agree to anything.

"I see you are still alone, unmarried that is. Have you found no one to settle down with? Start a family? You will need an heir my friend..." The visiting king commented.

"No, I will not be having children. I will adopt a deserving child from my kingdom here to carry on my name instead." He stated firmly. The queen gave a very particular look to her husband and he sighed at the coming storm.

"Are you sure, Alaric? I have two lovely daughters, very well behaved and intelligent, who could join our two families as one. Why don't you marry one of them, hm?" The king tried coaxingly. The girls heard their cue and stepped forward to their father's sides. He was correct, they were lovely if not strikingly beautiful. Each having their father's warm brown hair and their mother's gentle blue eyes.