Chapter 29: A New Day

↳ Saturday

↳ Saturday

Jan. 14th↲

After eating at Pop's and catching up, Jughead brought me back to my house about five minutes before six, as promised to my parents.

I got off of the motorcycle, still feeling the adrenaline rush. The blood pumping through my veins warmed me, healing the cold. Jughead also got off the bike halfway until I stopped him.

"Oh, it's okay. I can walk inside on my own," I assured. I didn't want him to go through the trouble of going on an unnecessary walk.

He slowly went to sit back down in his seat, somewhat glad. "Alright. Well, now that I drive..." he gave a devilish grin. "Should I pick you up for school tomorrow?"

I smiled a little, looking at his bike. Riding it was fun... and it would be much less painful than walking in a winter so brisk as this one.

"Okay, sure," I shrugged. "What time?"

"Seven forty-five? Unless you want to go to Pops."

"Uh, let's skip Pop's for tomorrow, but maybe the day after?" I suggested, still feeling the effects of the burger in my stomach.

"Sounds good. I'll wait here until you reach your door then."

I found it strange at first until I realized it was because he wanted to make sure I got inside safe, even though it was a mere few feet away. I found the sentiment sweet and realized that despite all of these changes around us, Jughead still had a beating heart.

I walked up to the door and knocked, which opened almost immediately to my mom. Her nose was still red from crying earlier, her eyes puffy, but her smile lit up her face.

She looked past me to see Jughead, who she gave a wave to. He gave a slight wave back before starting his bike and speeding off to god knows where.

"Jughead is such a sweet boy," my mom watched as he disappeared down the road.

"Yeah," I agreed. "He's taking me to school tomorrow."

She gasped, guiding me inside."That's great!" She closed the door behind us. "I didn't plan for you to come home, obviously, so I'm working early tomorrow morning. The same goes for your father," she gave me a slight pat on the shoulder. "I'm going to take the whole week off after tomorrow though, and you and I are going to spend some quality time!"

I scoffed a little with a grin. "Mom, you really don't have to."

She smiled back at me, as if I was the most valuable thing in the world. "I know."

She led me into the living room and then turned to see my shocked expression as I oversaw the entire living room.

Presents filled the floor, some on the dingy yellow couch and some on the scuffed wooden table. My dad sat in his recliner chair, lowering his newspaper to see me.