Chapter 23: Redemption

↳ TWO WEEKS LATER

↳ TWO WEEKS LATER

Dec. 7th↲

After speaking to the police and coming out to my parents about the whole Derek situation, I hadn't heard from Derek since. In fact, he wasn't even in school anymore, so I assumed he either dropped out or left Riverdale completely.

Despite his absence, I've been much more anxious. Typically I would find myself making sure all of the windows and doors were locked, or even messaging friends when I haven't heard from them in a certain number of hours.

I considered Derek's disappearance the calm before the storm. I also understood that it could have been just my paranoia, but I didn't want to let my guard down until December 18th came and went. I counted down the days until then, which kept dwindling and dwindling.

As for Jughead, he had been mostly healed besides some bruises here and there. I had been trying to seem more distant with him — an attempt to break up with him — for the sake of his safety.

After cleaning his wounds in an otherworldly bar in south Riverdale, I realized that I can't see him in that state again.

Yes, Derek is gone. However, I didn't want to risk it.

I contemplated getting back together with Jughead after all of this blows over, but in the meantime, we needed a break. I didn't know how to successfully bring it up to him without him assuring me that he's not in any danger and denying that a break would help. I thought of every excuse Jughead would say because I know he loves me. But he loves a little too recklessly.

The last two weeks we also haven't talked, kissed, or even knew much about what was happening with the other.

Jughead would be openly affectionate with me, but I wouldn't return the favor. Each kiss I dodged hurt me just as much as it hurt him, yet he didn't say a word about it.

I cried some nights, confused on what I was even doing or who I was helping. I wondered if all of this distance was worth it. It always boiled down to the moral, which was being safe rather than sorry.

As he walked me home, we were both silent. We didn't hold hands and didn't speak to each other. Suddenly, Jughead's phone rang and he answered it quickly, hoping to break the silence.

"Hello?" He looked over at me. I watched as his brows furrowed slightly and he gave a quizzical expression. I couldn't help but smile a little bit at how cute he was, but then quickly wiped it off.

"Yeah. We're on our way. Okay," Jughead hurriedly hung up. "Apparently my dad caught one of Derek's henchman who beat me up."

I listened to him, waiting for him to move and guide me. Instead, he stood there, also waiting for me to react.

"And?" I looked at him, confused.

"Do you want to come with me?"

I was taken aback by how he had to ask me that. Then again, I never really went with him anywhere anymore. If I would've said no, I wouldn't know more information about Derek, but I would progress in separating myself from Jughead.