ii. Arcturus the Owl

Chapter TwoArcturus the Owl

Chapter Two
Arcturus the Owl

✰✰✰✰

     Although Nova had been to Diagon Alley countless of times, the time she went to purchase her school supplies left her filled with more nervousness for her first school year at Hogwarts. Her mind raced with different scenarios about her coming school year as Remus apparated himself and Nova to Diagon Alley.

      Upon their arrival, Nova immediately spotted her two favorite shops, Flourish and Blotts and Quality Quidditch Supplies. She turned to Remus with pleading eyes and he sighed.

      "Nova, I already told you that first years are not allowed their own broomsticks," Remus said to her, with a raised eyebrow. Nova sent him a sheepish smile and said, "Yes, but there is no trouble in having a look."

      Remus sighed in defeat, which caused the young girl to grin. She took his hand and led him towards the shop, where a group of children stood admiring the newest broom on the market. The Comet '89 was the fastest broom currently in the Quidditch world and everyone wished to have it. Nova couldn't help but stare at the broomstick in admiration. The idea of owning it made her feel over the moon with joy.

      Remus had not intended to spend an hour and a half in Quality Quidditch Supplies, while Nova examined every item in the shop and made a mental list of her most desired products, and yet he had. Once Nova had finished, the two entered Flourish and Blotts to purchase her school textbooks. Although, Nova's curiosity got the better of her, as it always did when she entered the bookshop. And while Remus collected her school books, she collected several books which she deemed intriguing. The books she had chosen varied from Alchemy, Ancient Art, and Science, to Theories of Transubstantial Transfiguration. These were books she wouldn't even be touching until her seventh year, and yet, there she was.

      Nova placed the several books she had chosen on the purchasing counter, alongside the school textbooks Remus had retrieved for her. Once the two left Flourish and Blotts, Remus placed a charm on Nova's bag in order to fit all of their items. Luckily, the charm added no extra weight to the bag, giving the illusion that nothing was even in it.

      The duo's next stop was Madam Malkin's Robes for All Occasions. There, Nova purchased her set of robes, a winter cloak, dragon-skinned gloves and to her dismay, the standard pointed wizard's hat. Then, Remus offered to go purchase her cauldron, telescope and brass scales, while she went into Ollivanders and received her first wand.

      Remus told her to wait outside the shop once she finished and then left to venture to Wiseacre's Wizarding Equipment.

      Nova entered the wand shop, nervously, and saw no one inside. Curiously, she approached the counter and looked around to see if anyone was in.

      "Hello?" Nova called out. Her voice came out smaller than she had intended it to. She heard rustling behind the shelves of wands in the shop before an old man appeared. He approached the counter with a gleam in his eyes and immediately recognized the girl.

      "Ms. Black, I've been expecting you for some time," The man said to her with a warm smile. Nova titled her head in confusion as he spoke her name. "My name is Mr. Ollivander. I assume you are here for a wand? Am I correct?"

      It was in that moment that Nova, for the first time in ten years, did her absolute hardest to refrain from replying with a sarcastic comment and simply thought, Of course, I'm here for a bloody wand! Why else would I enter a wand shop?

      Mr. Ollivander decided to take her blank expression for an answer. "Well, let us see what we have for you."

      Nova watched him search his shelves, before pulling out a box. He pulled the wand out of its wrappings and handed it to her. "Give it a wave."

      The young Black decided to try a simple spell, "Lumos."

      The brittle and springy wand shone much more brightly than expected which caused Mr. Ollivander to scrunch his face. "No, no, not that one."

      Nova placed the wand on the counter and watched as he took out another. He handed her the wand and watched. Nova gripped the wand in her hand and felt a surge of energy radiated from it.

      "How very interesting," Mr. Ollivander mumbled. Nova managed to hear and glanced at him in confusion. Her gaze flickered from the wand to him, "Sorry, but may I ask what is so interesting?"

      Mr. Ollivander kept his eyes in the wand in her hand, "It is interesting to see how quickly this wand has chosen you. Normally these types of wands are exceedingly picky over their masters and only very few are lucky enough to be chosen."

      "And why is that?"

      "Your wand contains the core of a Phoenix feather, a very rare creature, which prefers to isolate itself and is not very trusting. However, this wand seems to be very fitting for you. The wood is Ash, and the length is ten inches exactly. It has an unyielding flexibility. Very strange combination this wand, yes, but also very unique," Mr. Ollivervander said to Nova with a gleam across his worn eyes. As he spoke, Nova's sole gaze was on the wand in her grasp. "I hope it will serve you very well, Ms. Black."

      Nova momentarily met his eyes and gave a slight nod, not knowing how else to respond. She gave Mr. Ollivander twenty-seven sickles for the wood and left the shop. Once she stepped outside, she was greeted by Remus, who had finished before her. To her surprise, he not only carried her necessary equipment but had also taken it upon himself to purchase her an owl.

      "Is it for me?" Nova asked with wide eyes. The owl Remus held in the cage was as black as the night sky. The creature's eyes immediately found the small girl upon hearing her voice and let out a mellow hoot. Remus smiled and handed it to her, "Yes. All you have to do, is chose a name for him."

      Nova smiled widely, with a name already in mind. She took the cage from Remus and said, "Welcome to the family, Arcturus."

      Remus titles his head at the name. "Arcturus? Like your father?"

      "Like my father."

      Remus let out a content sigh. "It's a lovely name. Now, are we all set?"

      Nova nodded. She took Remus' hand and the two apparated back to their home. Once Nova's feet hit the ground, she felt her headache. Apparating still managed to take a toll on the witch, no matter how many times she apparated alongside Remus.

      Remus told her to put away her items for the summer, seeing as how she had no need for them now. After all, it was only the middle of July. With a sigh, Nova did as told and went up to her room. Once she finished placing her belongings in her trunk (everything but her books that is), she sat on her bed and leaned against the bed frame. She turned to her nightstand and saw her family's photo album. She pulled it on her lap and began to look through it.

      No matter how many times Nova looked through it, she knew she would never grow tired of looking at the photos inside. Night eventually fell and Nova grew tired. She placed the photo album besides her and laid down on her bed. It took only moments before she fell into a slumber, with the memory of her parents filling her young and bright mind.