Prologue

Prologue

✰ ✰ ✰ ✰

      FOR CENTURIES, the noble and most ancient House of Black has always judged their honor and pride based on their prejudiced beliefs over pureblood elitism. These were the beliefs, Sirius Orion Black and Regulus Arcturus Black, had grown up being taught.

      However, as Sirius grew older, he came to find that he wanted nothing to do with his family's beliefs and when he reached his eleventh year, he began to attend Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry. Upon his arrival, he knew he did not want to be like his parents, and so it happened he was the first Black ever to be sorted into a house that wasn't Slytherin. As for his younger brother, Regulus seemed to believe everything his parents taught him and decided to follow in their footsteps. He was sorted into Slytherin and did whatever he could to make his parents proud; he gained great marks and even joined his house's Quidditch team and became their star Seeker.

      Upon the Black siblings' first years at Hogwarts, everything seemed calm. It wasn't until their final years that the First Wizarding War reached its climax as the support for Lord Voldemort grew. Growing up, Regulus had admired Lord Voldemort and the ideals he held, so he decided to join his cause. However, when he was branded as a Death Eater at the mere age of sixteen, he did the one thing no one ever believed he was capable of — he fell in love with the very thing he opposed.

      Amara Atticus was a muggle-born witch, and undoubtedly, the brightest witch of her age. The young Ravenclaw had never expected to meet Regulus Black and she most certainly never expected to end up falling in love with him either. Amara simply thought fate was funny that way. Amara and Regulus were two halves of the same hole, each made perfectly for the other.

      Although, Regulus and Amara's relationship was kept a secret, for the simple fact of what Regulus was involved in and as the couple entered their seventeenth year, they discovered Amara was with child. It was at this point in his life that Regulus realized his mistake of becoming a Death Eater, and decided he needed to create a better life and future for his child.

      Amara ended up dropping out of school in November when her belly had begun to grow. Sirius Black had been one of the few to know about his younger brother's situation (the others being his most trusted companions) and knew his brother needed help, so he offered to house Amara in his small home at Godric's Hollow. The months of Amara's pregnancy had been the most difficult months she's ever lived. She was beyond grateful to have Sirius there for her as a friend and for the support of James and Lily Potter, Remus Lupin and Peter Pettigrew. Despite the Black brothers' countless arguments, Regulus was grateful to have his brother there for him and his new family in their time of need.

      It was not until the second of June that Amara went into labor. Sirius, The Potters, Remus Lupin, Peter Pettigrew, The Longbottoms and even, Regulus, who had been pulled out of school by Professor Dumbledore, were at her bedside as she endured several hours in labor. And finally, on the third of June, did Amara Atticus gave birth to a beautiful baby girl, with eyes as clear as the sky, who Regulus christened Nova Arya Black — a name worthy of a new beginning, seeing as that was exactly what it meant.