i. Dear Little Star

Chapter OneDear Little Star

Chapter One
Dear Little Star

✰✰✰✰

      The day of Nova Black's eleventh birthday was bright and sunny, with white clouds painting the once clear, blue sky. Nova awoke early in the morning to find the sun barely rising.  She did her best to straighten out her wild hair with her hands, before stepping out of her room to see Remus Lupin already awake in the kitchen.

      Upon her entrance, he turned and smiled widely, "Happy birthday, my dear!"

      Nova grinned and ran to hug her guardian. Remus tightly embraced the young witch, while his mind raced with the fact that she was now eleven years of age. After he let her go, he showed her the cake he had made and sat it on the kitchen island. Nova sat in her regular stool across from Remus and watched as he placed a candle in the middle of the cake and used his wand to ignite a flame.

      Remus smiled brightly and said, "Make a wish."

    Nova furrowed her eyebrows in thought, before a smile graced her young face. She closed her eyes and blew out the candle. I wish for my parents.

      "What did you wish for?"

      "I think you know the answer to that Uncle Moony," Nova said to him with a small smile. Remus glanced at the window to see a distant figure approaching. He sighed and nodded, "I guess you've waited long enough."

      Nova watched him leave the room, before returning moments later with a box. Then, he approached the window and was greeted with an owl. Nova watched curiously as Remus read the letter and a smile graced his face.

      "It's for you," Remus said. Nova titled her head in confusion as he handed her the letter. The envelope addressed her name and address in the front, and on the back it held a red stamped insignia. Her curiosity only grew as she opened the letter to read:

HOGWARTS SCHOOL of WITCHCRAFT and WIZARDRY

Headmaster: Albus Dumbledore
(Order of Merlin, First Class, Grand Sorc., Chf. Warlock, Supreme Mugwump, International Confed. of Wizards)

Dear Ms. Black,

We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment.

Term begins on 1 September. We await your owl by no later than 31 July.

Yours sincerely,
Minerva McGonagall
Deputy Headmistress