Prologue

Your POV

The cold NYC winter breeze is nipping at my face so I tuck my head down.

Ugh, I'm so hungry.

I don't think I've eaten since yesterday afternoon, and it's already 11:30 P.M. Hopefully I can find some money or at least something in the dumpster behind the McDonald's I see coming up. There are ways I could get money... but almost all of them are illegal. I don't want to sell my body, I'm only 17 and I've never done something like that before. The thought of some random grubby man putting his hands on me like that makes me sick to my-

"Hello little lady," I hear a deep voice say as I bump into someone, "You should watch where you're going."

"Oh, I'm sorry," I say quickly as I try to walk past him. He puts his hand against the wall to block me.

"What's a young girl like you doing out so late?" A second man says as he walks out from behind the first. This can't be good. I frantically look around but I don't see anyone except a lone figure about a block behind me on the other side of the road.

"Please, can you let me go?" I plead. The men laugh darkly.

"Not before a little fun, hon'," the one who blocked me said. He leans in closer. "You're very beautiful." Not likely, I probably look like hell, but now is not the time to think about your low self confidence, Y/N. I turn on my heel and break into a sprint, but I don't get far before I feel hands yank me into and alley.

"Babe, we're just trying to have some fun!" One of them taunts while groping my chest. I manage to scream before he clamps his hand over my mouth. "Do that again and you're dead," the other says. Hot tears begin to stream down my cheeks as I nod slightly.

"Good, now where were we-"

"HEY! Get away from her!" I hear from the opening of the alley. The man who doesn't have his hands on my boob and mouth steps closer to the silhouette defending me. I mean, I'm glad he's sticking up for me, but he's alone! It's two verses one, and the one is significantly smaller than both of my attackers.

That's when I notice the handgun clutched in my saviors hand. Or at least I hope he's my savior, because if he's not then I have an even bigger problem than before.

"Woah dude we don't want any trouble," one of the men say as he releases me. I sink to the ground helplessly. I wish I could be a bad ass and punch a bitch in the face, but my anxiety is overwhelming me and I need to focus on my breathing before I faint.

While I was trying to calm down, the man who came to my defense must've scared the bad guys off. He was now kneeling in front of me without his handgun in my sight.

"Are you alright? You don't look so good," he says to me in a calm voice. His face is level with mine and I can see his features clearly now. Man, he's good looking, but the fact that I was just sexually assaulted is definitely a turn off. I must've been staring for too long, because he started talking again before I answered his question.

"My name is Alex, do you need anything?" I finally come back to my senses and respond.

"Thank you Alex... so much," I murmur as tears of relief fall from my eyes. "My name is Y/N. I'm so thankful you got here when you did."

"Me too, do you want me to walk you home?" he offers as we both stand. I stall for a moment, "That wont be necessary."

"Are you sure? I don't want you to run into those creeps again," he says, but I don't respond.

"Do you want anything to eat?" he suggests. That's kind of an odd suggestion, but he must've noticed my growling stomach. I can't help but be extremely attracted to the offer considering it's been over 24 hours since I've last eaten.