Chapter 3: Alone

Odeletta

I come downstairs around ten, rubbing my temples with a migraine.

All the kids are on the couch and Nathan is sitting in the chair with his feet on the coffee table, a bowl of lucky charms in his lap. He keeps dripping milk down his abs.

Raylen is laying with sunglasses on. He looks miserable. I look out the French doors in the living room and see the horses aren't out in the field.

There's beer bottles floating in my pool.

I glance at the clock on the cable box and walk further into the living room.

"It's ten and nothing is done?" I ask.

"God Mama, please don't make me." Raylen groans, rubbing his temples. I glance into Nathan's cereal bowl and see there is only marshmallows in there.

He glances up at me and then sets his bowl on the coffee table. I open my mouth to ask him why he didn't make the kids do anything when he grabs my hips and yanks me over the edge of the chair and into his lap.

"Beau!" I gasp, squirming. He locks his arms tightly around me. I push on his bare chest, trying to get him to set me free, but he just holds me tighter. I shift slightly so I'm more comfortable. He glances at the kids.

"Raylen, go do the horses." Nathan says.

"I don't feel good." He groans.

"You should have thought about that." I say.

"I don't want to do the horses."

"I don't care." Nathan says, rubbing my back. "Go now."

He stands up, storming out of the house. Nathan buries his nose in my neck and sighs, his breath tickling my skin. I turn my head and kiss him softly. He kisses me back gently, and then pulls away, his hand rubbing my hip. He sighs again, and then pats my thigh. I stand up to let him up. He rises, kissing me again, and then I take his seat. He disappears into the kitchen, and when he comes back, he goes upstairs. He slips outside. I sprint up from the couch and rip the door open.

"Nathan, do not help him!"

He glances over his shoulder and smiles at me.

"I'm not amour, I'm going to make sure he's doing it right."

I shiver and shut the door. It's cold out.

"When are we cleaning?" Noah asks. "I would like to just get it over with please, Mama."

I glance at my son and sigh.

"When Raylen comes back inside."

"Are you going to help?" Noemie asks.

"Did I make the mess?"

"Well...no."

"Then no."

He falls silent. My stomach growls loudly and I sigh, walking into the kitchen.

It's trashed. The whole house is trashed.

Pissed, I send an empty can of beer flying off the bar.

My house is always spotless.

I hear the glass doors shut and Nathan walks into the kitchen. I raise a brow at him.

"He can't do it." He says.

"What do you mean?"

"He can't, Odeletta. He needs to go lay down."

"It's a hangover, Nathan." I say, irritated.