Part 11

Chapter 11

Celeste’s mother fluffed her wings.  “How do I look?”

“Like you should be one of Daryn’s people,” Celeste mumbled as she walked down the sunny road.  Light blasted her in the face, and she was glad the sunglasses blocked some of it.  Someone above was screwing with her that she knew.  Glaring up at them she mumbled, “Cut it down a little.”

Surprisingly enough, clouds crossed the sun’s path, dimming the light that was once blaring in her eyes. 

“How much longer do we have to walk?” her mother asked.

Celeste looked over at her while rolling her eyes.  “Maybe if you didn’t wear those heels, you wouldn’t have this problem.”

“I like them,” her mother said with a large smile.  “The diamonds are eye-catching.”

Someone slipped their hand into hers.  Looking over at Aidirian, he smiled at her while squeezing her hand.  “We’re almost there.  Once we are, you don’t have to worry about people running into Fred, or the fact that your mother looks like she should be standing at a street corner.”

“Good,” she breathed out on a sigh.  “She’s starting to worry me.  As long as she does not do what the true fallen are said to do, father will be fine with her antics.  Any further, and the world will experience his wrath.”

“I’m guessing that is not a good thing?” he asked with a smile.

She shook her head.  “Just make sure my mother keeps the dress on.”

Aidirian let out a laugh and pulled her closer.  His arm fit naturally over her shoulder as they walked down the street.  Fred, or Francis as her mother thought, was right behind them.  The same invisible shield hid him from human eyes, but a few eyes lingered too long on where he was, cluing Celeste in on the fact that they were not humans.  Rounding the corner, she let out a sigh as the large sign lingered ahead.

Pulling from Aidirian, she knocked on the door until it opened.  A smiling Antonio looked back at her, and Celeste took a hesitant step back at the happiness on the man’s face.  His smile quickly dropped though as he took a step into the sun.  The myth about Immortals and the sun was just that, a myth.  The only downfall of the sun was that it made them drink more blood to repair the damage it caused their skin.  There was no sparkling, burning, or sizzling for Antonio.  Only new Immortals could not handle the sun.

“I am sorry if my happiness frightens you,” he mumbled with a shrug before glancing behind me.  “That is going to be trouble.”

Celeste glanced back at her mother and sighed.  “I know.  I told her to change.”

“What?” Antonio asked before understanding crossed his face.  “Not the succubus wannabe, the sandwalker.  There are those who are frightened of the sandwalkers or those who can handle such a creature, especially a female one.”

“Dammit,” she mumbled, hating that her mother was right.  Fred was indeed a Francis.  “Well, Francis will be fine.  She doesn’t do anything that a normal sandwalker wouldn’t do.  She’s actually quite tame.”

“I am not a wannabe,” her mother hissed while taking a step towards Antonio. 

Antonio’s hands immediately shot up in surrender.  “I meant no disrespect.  I was simply stating the image in which your clothing gave.”

Her mother’s wings ruffled before she folded them against her back once more.  “As long as we are clear on that.”

“We are clear, Ma’am,” Antonio assured while stepping back into the shelter of the club.  “Now, if you would not mind.  There are a few others in which Daryn wishes you to meet.  If some are not of your liking, you have my permission to dismiss them.  There is one problem though.”