School

After repeatedly getting me angry, Aiko and I discovered that it was me who threw her into the tree. It's an ability of mine, I guess. But now, I'll have to learn how to do it willingly, instead of depending on my current emotion.

The good news is, I've gotten better at fighting. I got in a few good punches and kicks when I fought Aiko the last time. I mean, I still got beat up, but my taijutsu has improved. Not so sure about my knife throwing skills though.

And, I've found that blue thingy that I call chakra. I can't really control it, but I found it! And Aiko made me memorize all of the hand seals last night. She made me repeat it so many times, like she drilled it into my brain. But it was necessary for ninjutsu. Which, I'm also pretty terrible at.

Not only did I memorize those hand seals, but I also had to memorize the written language. So far, all I know is how to write my name, what the word "name" looks like, what the word "date" looks like, and then the names of the jutsu and hand seals I've learned. I could totally survive with that much knowledge of the language.

Aiko said I'll learn more at the academy, but I'm still pretty sure I'm gonna be way behind the others kids. Sigh.

We also went school shopping last night. But you know, instead on books and pencils and pens, we got kunai, metal stars named shuriken, and scrolls for whatever reason. She also bought me paper bombs. That's not safe. I might accidentally blow myself up.

And instead of a backpack, she bought me two beige pouches for me to hold my stuff in. I don't even feel like I'm being sent to school- it's like I'm being prepared for a war or something.

For clothing, I picked up the simplest thing, and most comfortable thing I could find. I picked out a red kimono that stopped a few inches above my knees, and black shorts that covered my knees, and wore a fishnet shirt underneath. My boots are a navy blue color.

I was seated at my desk letting Aiko brush through my hair. I remember when my mother would do this. Even my older sister. But they're not here anymore...

I try to take my mind off of my family and focus on Aiko. I could feel her hands lifting my hair up into a high ponytail, letting some of my hair fall to the sides of my face. After tying my hair up, she began braiding it.

"Do you think you're ready for the academy?" she asked as she continued braiding my hair.

"Um," I say. She told me to stop underestimating myself. Let me have some confidence this one time. "Yeah. I'm definitely ready."

I could hear the smile in her voice when she says,"Good. It's time for us to go."

I looked at myself in the mirror, and felt like a different person. I've never tried this hairstyle before, and I actually liked it. The strands of my hair that weren't pulled up were curled and fell to my chest. My braid ended between my two shoulder blades. I don't feel like that same person that I was a week ago. I am in a completely different world where my family isn't here, and they have kids my age training to become a fighter. And now I'm one of them.

***

During our walk to the academy building, Aiko made me repeat the name of every hand seal and practice it with my own hands. She made me repeat the hand seals for the Clone jutsu, Transformation jutsu, and the Substitution jutsu.

Jeez, this is so much work.

"Will you remember all of that?" she asked. We were standing in front of what I believe to be the ninja academy.

I sighed at her question. I was nervous. I don't know what kind of people I'll meet here, or if Ill be a complete flop. Regardless, I say, "Yup!"

Aiko smiled down at me, then squatted down to look me in my eyes, using her cane to support herself. "Remember this, Iris. When they ask for your name, you could use my last name. It's Sano."

My mouth hung open as I stared at her in shock. Instead of feeling tears of sadness well up in my eyes, I feel tears of happiness. I hug her as tightly as I can and laid my head on her shoulder. I knew every person is this world isn't so cruel. I knew this, because she hugged me back.

We retreated from our hug and Aiko placed her hands on my shoulders, gave me stern look, and said, "Do your best, dear. I know you'll be fine."

With that, she walked away towards our home. I smiled at her back as I watched her figure get smaller and smaller by the second.

I finally tuned around and entered the building. By the busyness of the hallways, I guess that I'm early and people are still getting into their classes. I start looking around for someone that I could ask for directions.

My eyes land on a girl in a beige jacket and big, light purple, pupil-less eyes. Her hair is somewhere between black or dark blue. I'm not too sure, but she seems sweet.

"Hey," I say as I jogged towards her. She sees me and insanely begins to turn red and she starts twiddling with her fingers.

"H-hello," she stutters. She doesn't look me in the eyes, either. "Are you- are you new?"

"Yeah. And I need some help finding my class. Do you know where Iruka's classroom is?"

"Y-yes. I have him, too."

"Great! That means we could walk there together, right?"

"Sure," she says quietly. Oh, I was right. She is sweet. But also very soft-spoken.

We walked into Iruka's, or sensei's, classroom, and there was already a good amount of people already in the classroom; they were all staring at me.

I found out that the girl's name was Hinata. That's such a pretty name, oh my gosh.

Hinata went to her own seat while I just stood in the front awkwardly. A boy in an orange suit and green goggles on his head entered the classroom with his hands clasped behind his head.
"Huh?" he said as he noticed my presence. "Who are you?"

God, his voice is a little too loud. "I'm Iris. Iris Sano. I'm a new student."

"Hn," a new voice says. I trace the voice to a raven haired boy who wore a dark blue shirt, and had his hands clasped in front of his mouth. "Graduation is in two weeks. Good luck passing those exams with your lack of skill."

Everyone laughed at his insult; I could feel my face heat up with embarrassment. "Well, you haven't even seen my abilities. You don't know what I'm capable of."

"Oh, please. You're getting into the academy at the age you're supposed to be graduated. What did you actually think your chances of graduating on time were?"

Again, everyone laughed. A few girls in the classroom started gawking at him with hearts in their eyes, saying, "Sasuke! Sasuke!" Why are they even attracted to this jerk?

"You should listen to Sasuke," one girl with brown hair says. "You don't have a chance." She and the other girls started laughing to each other, but I didn't get the joke.

All I got was humiliation, and my face was still hot. I curled my hands into fists from anger and started breathing heavily. My face turned into a scowl, and I glare at the girls who were laughing at me. Then they all went flying into the wall, their backs connecting with the wood of the wall.

Everyone else gasped, and turned at me with wide eyes. "Don't ever underestimate my abilities. Again. You don't know what I'm capable of."