{15} - I Only Cry for Your Pain (End)

How long have been up here?

I asked myself.

How long have I been staring at her, gaping at how oblivious I had been? How stupid?

I questioned the more than confused voices in my head.

I guess some small, smarter, part of me always knew. Always knew she was different, because she actually asked if I was okay the first time she had laid eyes on me. She asked if I was okay. That was something no one has ever bothered to ask, because they were too busy screaming or running away. She had reached out, despite the thudding fear in her chest, and touched my face as if to nurse me. She actually cared.

And now, I knew why.

Because Camry, the girl I had met less than a month ago, was actually Sarah, my long lost bestfriend.

I had so many questions, and wants, and needs to ask and fulfill. One being to ask why she hadn't told me. A want being to stab her repeatedly at my boiling anger. And a need to hug my old friend, and bask at this revelation.

She stood there watching for a reaction as my stomach sank into the floor and my racing heart came to a screeching hault. I ignored the sirens coming from below, and the threats coming from the investigator and his damned bullhorn. I ignored the break in the wind as a flash of lightning escaped the clouds and the sky opened up to a light cry. Small raindrops gently landed on Sarah's head, forcing me to see her blonding roots. Why had I never noticed them before. I studied the familiar pattern of her freckles. How could I have missed that? I sniffed in her body scent, the memories of my childhood flooding back to me. Could I have seriously mistaken that scent for one I hadn't already known? It was as though I was staring at a polaroid, the picture only now coming into focus. Slowly, but surely, it was all coming into focus.

"Jeff?"

Her sweet voice tore through my silent self-discovery, and I dropped my gaze to the floor. I felt pathetic, letting my emotions get the best of me. I felt blind-sided most of all, hating her for fooling me like I was some sort of stupid animal.

"Shut it." My voice growled out, cold as ice. I gripped the blade in my right hand, holding myself back. My head swelled with voices yelling at me, daring me to end her, and I considered the possibility of listening to them. I could hear her breathing quicken everslightly.

"Don't." She choked out slightly. I could tell she was close to tears as she watched my grip tighten even more. I kept my head down, staring at me own feet, hoping this might be quick. From below, the investegator called from his bullhorn.

"Surrender, we have you surrounded!"

How cliche. I knew they would never be able to capture me no matter what, but Sarah was growing antsy and tensed as I made a small step towards her. She stood with her arms nervously at her side, quietly sniffling back tears.

"You lied to me."

"I know, and I'm so, so sorry Jeff. I didn't mean for you to find out this way."

Bullshit. She wasn't sorry, and if she was, none of this would have occured in the first place. My breathing grew heavy as the thought of her dying became more and more enticing. I gazed up at her slowly, red encircling her cheeks and nose. Her deep green eyes were glossy with tears as they slowly raced down her pale face. My chest hitched at how angry, yet adoring I was towards her. Although she had lied to me, she was still my bestfriend. She was still my "girlfriend". And she was still the only human being I cared enough about to not kill on the first meeting.

The sound of people crowinding and sirens going off only grew louder as the bullhorn cut through the air. Demands of surrender began to erupt, and I could see how afraid she was. Not of me, but of my tense grip on the blade. I hadn't realized that I was pointing it towards her until I saw her glossy eyes watching it as she tried her hardest not to cry.