Mrs. Hopt: The Evil Band Teacher

In 6th grade, I had the best band teacher in the whole wide world! He tought me how to play the flute. He tought me other things but I will not get into extreme detail. Anyways, his name was Mr Gardner. And then Mrs. Hobt came along. A year later, 7th grade, I walked into band calss all confident with a huge grin on my face. I was so excited to see my favorite teacher again. I get my flute, put it together, and look up to see that... It wasn't Mr. Gardner.

    It was this tall and pale lady with hair longer than my own height. She was wearing all black. "not a very good first impression on a bunch of kids". I thought. Many thoughts went through my head. One of them was that she was just a subsitute. I thought some more. She couldn't be a subsitute. Mr. Gardner never missed a single day at school last year and he couldn't possibly in any way miss the first day. I was still confused as to why he would leave us. He said we where the best group of students he's ever had. 

     No. On the last day of school he spicificly said, "See you next year!" He lied. I thought I could trust him but all he did to us was lie to us. He lied to me. "I am Mrs. Hopt" she said with a firm voice. I mistaken her and thought she had said her name was Mrs. Hobit, as in Lord of The Rings. "Get up, you are all going to sit where I tell you to sit and that's final!" She whipped out a seating chart and started screaming at kids to go sit where she pointed. She had no mercy. If you didn't know where to sit the next day. all she would say was, "You should of been paying attention then." 

    I shivered with fear when she yelled out my name. She pointed at the back of the room. "No!" I thought. I had to sit next to the french horns. You all probably think I have something against french horns or something, but here is the truth. The french horns are not fun to be next to because they are so loud! But, I got lucky that day because we didn't have to play. 

     I remember when we heard a scream come from outside of the classroom. The whole class laughed. But Mrs. Hopt didn't. I remember her exact words that she said before the whole class got silent. "No! Laughing is what gets you kicked out of this class!" After that, you could hear a pin drop. I honesty think she has something against kids. And laughing. And smiling. The first three quarters of the school year, I haven't even heard a single chuckle come from her dark and disturbing soul. 

     The first concert with the new teacher didn't go that bad. I was just glad to get it over with. We played sommerset overture and a couple others. I can't remember the names of the other music we played, the concert was a long time ago. The orchistra played first, then begging band, then advanced. I was in the advanced group. The orchistra sounded off tune from where I was sitting in the auddience and the begging played a really slow song and didn't do that bad. Then was us. First we played a fast song, a slow song and then another fast one. We olnly messed up a few times.

    After the second quarter, I started heating up to things. The homework that I had to do for band was getting turned in more often and the teacher didn't scare me as much. Things still weren't going picture perfect but they were gradualy getting better.