Chapter 2: Mysterious Shadow

As quickly as the shadow had appeared and scared the living life right out of the cop it was gone. Silvia who stood still staring up at where the shadow was, was baffled. The cop caught glimpse at Silvia, but said, "Forget it!" and in a panic scrambled up and ran off. Silvia couldn't help but to smile, "No more orphanage." Putting her hands behind her head she didn't care who saved her, but rather that whoever saved her nonetheless. She did have a new fear however. What if that cop called for back up, or what if she got caught by a cop in the future?

Shaking off her thoughts Silvia couldn't afford to think of the future, but the now, and that she was safe. Starting to walk back towards the alley she thought, "I need somewhere new to sleep." She stood and thought for a while, but nothing came to her. She figured something would come, but until then she would just rest wherever there was a place to rest, and that place was the park bench.

When she awoke the next morning she found frost on all of the grass and playground. The ice would hang delicately off the trees. Although it was cold Silvia smiled, "Beautiful morning..." Shivering she rubbed her arms furiously, "But cold, really cold!" Sneezing she held her nose. A stray cat trotted by as Silvia got up. Starting to stride after it the cat got a little faster now that it was aware that Silvia was after it. 

Stopping, she felt her stomach growl, but she was not hungry. All her mind could ponder on was that figure that had saved her that past night. She would walk the dismal half of Seattle so she would not be seen by the cops, but would rather be seen by the muggers, and murderers. She would see the families and couples together, and not help but feel a little lonely. Sure she didn't want to have the same fate as she had in the past, but seeing these families and couples didn't fill the void of loneliness in her heart.

The thought pierced through her mind, and being only eight. Silvia always wondered if she even had a heart. Passing the alleyway of a restaurant she went to the garbage can finding food that was still fresh. She picked up an apple that was still ripe, "A shame that the rich have to be so careless..." Taking a bite out of the apple she saw a homeless man on the side of the street with tattered blue jeans and a torn white shirt with a beaten up blue hat. He held up a sign that said he had no money, and that he had to pay for meds. He was wanting money and or food. 

Seeing that Silvia had a half eaten apple the man pitied, "Can I please have the rest of that Miss?"

Silvia furrowed her brow, "I am poor because I am victimized, why are you poor?"

"Well that's some big talk for a young child such as yourself."

"I may only be eight mister, but I've learned a thing or two. And when you are homeless, poor, needy when you finally get something you don't share." Silvia took another big bite out of her apple, "There are places you can get things without begging."

And on that last note Silvia turned on her heel and turned away from the man shaking her head, "Will people ever learn?" she asked herself tossing the apple core to the side. Seeing the same black cat from earlier she started to follow it down an alley way and managed to finally catch up to it. Stroking its back she said softly, "How did you become alone?" The cat purred at Silvia's touch and sat down while she stroked his back.

That was until Silvia noticed the cat stare up at the alley wall and its large yellow eyes were wide open. Silvia frowned, "What's wrong?" The cat started to hiss as it ran in the other direction leaving Silvia confused. Sitting against the wall and her feet in a puddle she put her head back as she looked up at the sky, "Well, that was a few moments not being alone. Even if it was with a cat, an animal can provide better company sometimes."

Silvia saw a cop starting to head down the alley way, and it looked as if he was talking into his walkie talkie type device. This made Silvia curl her toes, but the cop left her alone. Breathing a sigh of relief she got up and felt like a figure was walking along the dark wall beside her. Looking at the wall she just saw her own shadow and continued to walk.

The cop stopped in his tracks and turned around calling out to Silvia, "Hey, you're that little girl from last night!" Silvia stopped dead in her tracks as the cop continued, "My buddy said that he was spooked by something tall, black, and with bright yellow eyes, but I see no fear in a little child. Now you need to come over here to me so I can take you to an orphanage." Silvia stood stiff, but her body rattled inside, "Not again..." she pursed her lips together.

Since Silvia didn't respond the cop said, "Did you hear me? You caused a lot of trouble last night so you need to come with me." 

Silvia shook her head violently, "No!" 

Starting to run again her feet splashed in puddles and dodged broken glass. The cop called into his walkie talkie device as he started to run after Silvia. This cop was more fit than the last one so he ran faster to Silvia's dismay. Catching up to her he grabbed her arm, "You need to show more respect for officers and adults Miss." the officer pierced.

Trying to pry herself free she demanded, "No more orphanages, no more drunkards. Let me go!" 

The officer chuckled, "We all have our problems, and mine is dealing with you right now. You should fear what's out here, you could get hurt."

A deep dark voice suddenly echoed from the walls of the alley, "Oh no, it is you who should fear what is out here officer." The voice cackled. The officer held his hand on his gun as the voice continued, "Why do you hurt this little girl? Do you want her to fear you, or be afraid of your silly laws?"

The officers hand trembled on his gun, but he kept a firm hold on Silvia's arm, "I'm not afraid, it's you who are the coward. Now show yourself!"

The voice sounded intrigued, "Very well then."

Both Silvia and the officer's eyes bounced from wall to wall as a shadow sleeked across them. Suddenly the shadow came up from the ground and towered above Silvia and the officer. Silvia smiled, "You're that thing from before!"

The officer exchanged glances from Silvia to the figure, "What, thing from before?"

The figure nodded its head, but quickly shot an evil grimace to the officer, "You leave this girl alone, do I make myself clear? I suggest that all of your cops fear me, or I can cause quite a nightmare."

The officer shook his head, "I still don't believe this is not a trick!"

The shadow stalked forward a little more and then quickly rushed to the officers face and merely said, "Boo...!"

Screaming the officer let go of Silvia and ran down the alley straight into his cop car. Laughing Silvia looked at the shadow, "Why did you save me a second time?"

The shadow started to appear solid as it spoke, "Because we both have something in common, to be noticed and to be wanted. But we also want power. I know because I can see it in your dreams little one." As the figure turned solid Silvia was staring at a tall man with a black robe and gray skin. His hair was a jet black and his eyes a bright yellow.

Silvia tilted her head, "You saw it in my dreams? You don't seem like the Sandman...and you scared away the officer..." Tapping her chin Silvia thought, "Oh! I know who you are, but...why save a poor ragged girl like me? You're the Boogeyman..."

"Pitch Black, the Boogeyman." He replied, "You have accustomed to how harsh reality is, and you stay strong in the face of fear. Fear is your ally, and will be your power."

"My power?" Silvia questioned.

Now that she knew who this mysterious man was what would he do to her, and why notice her out of all the rest? Does Pitch Black have a future set for Silvia to help her, or is this a mere trick? How would this Pitch Black character get her noticed?