thirteen - a new universe

chapter xiii.
( avengers )

something's      coming
something's on its way
into     the     darkness
we   all    must     fight
into the darkness ─── the phantoms

something's      comingsomething's on its wayinto      the     darknesswe    all    must     fightinto the darkness ─── the phantoms

shield helicarrier, over new york
may 4, 2012

"I want to talk to him," they are the first words to leave my mouth as soon as I walk into Fury's office.

His dark eye flicks up from his desk, but he doesn't say anything; he just stares at me with that nearly bored and unimpressed eye. I open my mouth to elaborate, but I don't even get the chance to start because suddenly a part of Fury's ceiling caves it and a huge chunk of metal crashes down onto the Fury's desk.

I shriek and jump a little, but Fury just blinks down at it as if it had a choice in falling on his desk or not. As I glance around, I see that his entire office is covered in fallen debris and the long lightbulbs are hanging from the ceiling. Part of the far left wall is actually gone and I can see blue sky on the other side of it. It's been an entire day since we won what everyone is calling 'The Battle of New York' and everyone is, as Dad said, "taking a day".

Except for me, tragically. 

There are a few things I need to do before this can all be over. Ah, let's just take a sec to imagine how nice that will be. This whole aliens plummeting from the big blue sky, wanting to annihilate us thing will be nothing but a thing of the past, a far distant memory that I shall try my very best to repress. What fun!

"Listen, Fury, I got big big plans, okay?" I try to look tough and cool, puffing out my chest and lifting my chin, "I demand the right to speak to the homicidal alien man!"

This, surprisingly, fails and I slowly deflate, noticing the look he's giving me.

"I.E. Loki."

He blinks.

I clear my throat awkwardly, "Alrighty then, may I speak to Loki, good sir?"

He still doesn't answer.

"Please." I give the cheesiest smile my face can manage.

He's doing that thing again; that thing were his face is completely and utterly blank. It's terrifying, especially with the eye-patch and black leather. My cheesy smile begins to crumble as I heave a sigh and slide up to his desk. I know I must be rather bold to come up to him like this, but it's the only way to get what I want. Believe me, I've tried all the other ways.

"Fury, come on," my cheesy smile is hardly visible at all now and my eyes are pleading.

"Why would you want to do a thing like that, Miss Stark?" Fury sighs and leans back in his chair slightly, casually looking at me from over top of the metal chunk.