Backstory

"It happened when I was 13. I came home on a regular day just like any other. My parents weren't home. It was just me. I remember unpacking my backpack, and when I turned around to put my water bottle in the fridge, I saw a silhouette outside the house. I thought it was just my neighbor so I continued on with my everyday life. I went downstairs to watch tv when I heard the door creek behind me. When I turned around there was this huge man, dressed all in black, standing there. Before I could do anything he attacked me. My parents later found me lying on the floor, beaten, and shaking. I was rushed to the hospital. Ever since that day I've locked every door behind me." I never once made eye contact with Shawn while I told him this. I didn't realize that as I told my story, hot tears leaked from the corners of my eyes.
"Oh my god. Emery. I had no idea, I'm so so sorry." Shawn pulled me into his embrace and held me for a while.
"So... never mind." He shook his head and kissed my forehead.
"No please, you can ask questions. I'm open about it, and I don't want there to be secrets between us."
"So, does it still, is it always like..." he didn't really know how to ask but I knew what he wanted to know.
"Sometimes yes. I have PTSD, not as bad anymore but some night I wake up screaming and crying. It comes and goes like waves." He held me tighter, and we stayed like this for a few minutes.
"Do you feel like going somewhere?" He leaned back to look me in the eyes while he stroked my hair.
"Where?"
"Do you trust me?"
"Of course." I trust Shawn with all my heart, with my life.
"Come with me." Shawn extended a hand and pulled me up. We left the house and got in his Jeep that was still parked in my driveway. His car was black, with a leather interior, sunroof, and reverse cameras. His car was so different from my tiny Mazda. He opened the door and helped me in, then ran around to get in the driver side. He started the car and looked at me.
"Ready?" He asked, his foot on the brake and his hand on the gearshift. He didn't drive manual like I did, but it's much easier driving automatic.
"With you, always." Shawn leaned in and pecked my lips, put the car in reverse, and pulled out of the driveway. Here's the thing; with Shawn I felt safe, and protected. I felt secure. It's like he pulls every stitch of sadness out of my body, and replaces it with happiness and joy. He makes me feel whole and alive, he makes me think about the future, but this time when I think about it... it doesn't end horribly, and it isn't all dark and lonely. I may be only seventeen, but with him, I feel like the rest of my life is worth it.