“The last thing I need is people thinking I’m clingy. I just need to let it go. And I’m working on it.”

“What? Conceal, don’t feel, don’t let it show?” I rolled my eyes at his attempt to put Disney lyrics into a serious conversation. I suppose I did that to myself.

“Exactly. And I’m doing a really good job of it, okay? So let’s not mess it up.”

“You’re so exasperating,” he said, shutting his eyes as he sighed dramatically.

“Oh just leave me alone.”

James did so, leaving a disapproving look lingering on his face. I didn’t care though. I just wanted to ignore everything and just enjoy the fact that I was currently in Cannes. The blue beaches, the pretty boats, the beautiful buildings were within my grasp and I was experiencing some of the most magical parts of France. This was not the time for thoughts about dumb boys who I desperately wanted to kiss and punch at the same time. Now was the time to realize that things weren’t as bad as they seemed.

By the time that Thursday rolled around, I had soaked in so much sun, I was beginning to resemble a lobster. What was it like to never tan past a shimmering gold? Trying to recuperate from my burn, I spent the day on the shaded balcony looking over the beaches, trying to recreate the gorgeous mixtures of blues and greens in the water.

“Oh! This is lovely!” I heard from within the suite and my eyes widened. It definitely wasn’t James’ voice. Shutting my sketchbook quietly, I started getting up to inspect when I heard another voice.

“Hun, look at this TV. I can watch the game from here.”

Hold up. I definitely knew that voice.

“Dad? Mom?” I asked, entering the suite and seeing the two of them looking around the space in awe.

“Cammie!” Mom said, rushing across the room and hugging me. “It has been way too long. Why haven’t you called us?”

“Sorry? Paris was… distracting.”

“Hey kiddo!” Dad came, wrapping his arm around my shoulders and kissing me on the head. “Happy early birthday!”

“Thanks Dad. So, I thought you guys weren’t coming until this evening?”

“Where’d you hear that?” Mom asked.

“I’m actually not sure. I just assumed, I guess.”

“You know what happens when you assume!” Mom sang and I rolled my eyes. 

“So are you guys staying in the suite with James and I?” I asked and Mom and Dad looked at each other with a slight grin on their faces. “What?”

“Dad and I will be staying in this suite with James, yes,” Mom said. “Phil. I think we need to give Cam her birthday present.” My heart stopped for a second. I watched Dad smile widely as he made he way out the front door and immediately turn around and say, “Happy Birthday Camille.”

Becca and Riley came bursting through the door as soon as he moved aside, squealing and giggling like crazy.

“Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh!” I joined in the screaming, running to them and hugging them.

“Hi!” Becca yelled in my ear, still laughing.

“Hey!” I giggled as Riley hooked her leg under my own, making us all tumble to the ground, giggling and crying.

“This is the best day of my life!” Riley said, squirming on the floor, trying to righten herself as her arm was under Becs and her leg was still under me.