Familiar Sand

Chapter 13: Familiar Sand.

Jai's POV:

The Grey Room had never been as quiet as it was that particular morning. As I slumped in my chair awaiting Xion's arrival, I couldn't help but try and give the room an emotion. Instead of being as dull as the colour of the room, I wanted the communal place we began our missions to be filled with warmth.

"You're up early." A smug voice shattered my reverie. I snapped my head up to meet the perceptive orbs of Xigbar. I didn't really like him, seeing as he helped kidnap me to begin with and all.

"You know how it is," I sighed. "Missions."

Xigbar cocked his head to the side as he settled in the chair across from me. "It's a day off today."

Dammit, Jai.

"The worlds wait for no one," I shot back, a smirk painting my lips. He returned the smirk, a hearty laugh erupting from his mouth.

"You're a clever one, I'll give you that."

Several moments of silence followed, our eyes locked in a silent staring contest. I could feel the apprehensive vibes radiating off him, and answered his question before he could even ask it.

"I'm not doing this because I want to hurt any of you or ruin your plans," I said quietly. "I'm doing this because I actually want to help you."

His eyes widened, before his lips fell back into their usual smug smirk. "More like you wanna help our resident pyromaniac."

I opened my mouth to protest, but decided that would only make me look bad. "Don't forget water boy too."

Xigbar laughed, tousling his argent and onyx locks. Suddenly, he summoned his weapons, holding them to his side as he grinned.

"Arrowgun rifles?" I murmured in surprise. It was amazing to see just one, let alone twin arrowgun rifles. Despite the fact that he held himself in a fighting stance, I found myself in admiration of him. He looked like a friggin' pirate, but I thought he had the potential to be a good mentor.

"I'm the Freeshooter for a reason," he replied with a wink. He lined his guns up so that they were held out to me, his grin everpresent. I rose from my couch, an exhilarating rush washing over my body. "Show me what you got, kid."

This was the first time since joining the Organization that I would be engaged in a fair fight. It was almost as if I was suffering from withdrawals. Summoning the keyblade to my side, I let a simper fall on my lips. Anticipation coursed through me as I began to focus. Who was going to make the first move? Was Xigbar close-range or did he shoot from afar? The answer to those questions came before I could even blink.

Xigbar flew backwards in a fluid motion, glowing, crimson bullets pelting from his arrowguns. I dodged them by a hair's breadth, noting how much they resembled lasers. He was fast and he was passionate. For a Nobody that couldn't feel, fighting brought him a lot of enjoyment.

"Your turn," he mused, his rifles facing downwards. He was giving me an opportunity to attack. His defense was wide open as he stared at me squarely as if to observe my reaction. Unfortunately for him, as a fighter, it was one of my mastered abilities not to let emotion show on my face. I couldn't grasp the concept during conversation, but fighting was easy.

I gritted my teeth, running towards where he stood above me. I sprung from the couches to reach him, jabbing my keyblade into his side. He didn't so much as grimace -- Xigbar simply stood there, his features a blank mask. Slowly, a grin settled onto his lips as his eyes met mine.