Date Night

Chapter Twenty
-Date Night-

Once I got over my frustration and stopped thinking about the afternoon and started enjoying being on the date, I felt the tension within myself slip away and the smile on my face became natural. We had walked around the town, his hand still firmly interwined with mine before dinner and now sat in a trendy bar off campus enjoying a drink.

I toyed with the rim of my wine glass as we chatted.
"Just before I left to come here I went saw a gig with some friends. The band was called The Jezabels," Jake told me. "They're not very well known, but-"
"I love them!" I gasped, excitedly and he raised his brows.
"You know them?" He asked and I nodded.
"I have their EP on my iPod. I listen to it all the time, Mace Spray is my favorite song."
"Her voice is haunting live," He told me. "It captured the entire room in a trance."
"I bet. I didn't know they were touring. I wish I had gone," I told him, disappointed.
"They were opening for Ladyhawke," He told me.
"Of course!" I exclaimed, "She just brought out a new album, huh?" I asked and he nodded "She any good?" I asked and he nodded again.
"Awesome, better than The Jezabels, but not by much," He assured me.
"Really wish I had of known now," I laughed.
"I'll take you next time they're around," he promised and I grinned at him.
"I'll hold you too that," I assured him. "So you like local music?" I asked and he nodded.
"It's a good night out," He shrugged easily, "Hilltop Hoods are coming to town soon, looking forward to it," he told me.
"Who would be the ultimate gig for you?" I asked and watched him mull over the question.
"...Rod Stewart..." He murmured after a moment and I laughed.
"Seriously?" I asked and he grinned at me playfully.
"Yeah, the guy is fricken amazing!" he told me.
"...And a dinosaur," I snorted and he laughed again.
"And what about you, miss fancy-ageist-music-pants?" He asked. "No, let me guess... Justin Bieber or Lady Gaga?" He raised his eyebrows expectantly.
"No," I laughed, "Pop music is overrated nowadays. Probably someone like... Billy Joel or Elton John...?"
"And you called Rod Stewart a dinosaur! Shesh!" Jake laughed at me and stuck my tongue out at him.
"Blondie would be cool to see," I shrugged. "Or like, The White Stripes, if they were still together." Jake nodded appreciatively at me.
"You have a wide music appetite," He replied and I nodded and shrugged.
"Depends on my mood, I guess. I was listening to Marvin Gaye while studying today," I told him and he laughed.
"Wow. Marvin Gaye? He was way before the dinosaurs," He grinned.
"Still relevant," I simply replied. "I guess that's what I like about music, the good stuff hardly ages. Any generation can listen to it and appreciate it."
"It's like reading," Jake offered and I nodded.
"The classics are just..." I raised my fisted hands and shook them softly as I thought of the right words, "...perfect still. True artistry, it can never die." Jake nodded his agreement.
"I suppose even after centuries, humans haven't changed much. The classics are based upon human feelings and behavior and people still suck as much as they did back then," Jake laughed and I nodded.
"If anything, we're worse," I frowned. "Look at Taylor, he's a complete hooligan," I laughed. Jake's eyebrows dropped as he looked at me.
"I didn't know you had a lot to do with Taylor," he said, with questioning lingering somewhere in there.
"Oh," I stopped short, "Well you know with Kathy's boyfriend. They're friends, I guess. I don't have a lot to do with him. I mainly just see him around..." I stumbled quickly through the words, having to remind myself that I couldn't say Kathy was actually seeing him behind 'Lockie's back.
"Yeah, I suppose. He seems to know everyone," He shrugged and sighed. "Are you ready for dinner?" He asked, casually.
"Yeah, let's go," I smiled at him as calmly as I could. That was the bloody hedge leaf all over again. Herbal organic shampoo? What shampoo has full actual leaves in it?! Thank goodness he is a boy and doesn't even begin to think beyond the supermarket for hair products.

We stood up and moved from the beer garden to the eating section of therestaurant. Jake seemed to have a talent at sourcing out amazing places to bring me. I was enjoying it immensely. We sat at a small table that had the usual cutlery, napkin and cute little candle on it. Jake ordered us another drink as I looked over the menu.

After dinner, I was full of steak, red wine jus and half a dark chocolate mousse cake with white chocolate and blood orange coolis. Jake and I went halves, but I should have gotten my own... and then one to go too. Delicious.
We walked hand in hand along the street and slowly headed back to campus, it had been a perfect night after the initial problems and I was enjoying Jakes company even more, the better I got to know him. Jake let go of my hand to wrap his arm around my shoulders and glanced down at me and smiled.
"Are you cold?" He asked and I shook my head. It was a really nice night, given the time of the year, It would start getting cold soon.
"I'm okay now," I assured him, taking his hand that was hanging by my shoulder into my other hand, pulling his arm a little more tightly around me. We walked for a little longer before we came to a set of lights.
As we waited for pedestrian lights to signal, Jake leaned in further to me, looking calm and happy.
"Thank you for coming tonight," He murmured to me, resting his forehead against mine.
"Thank you for dinner," I replied, smiling widely.
"My pleasure, gorgeous," He smiled back at me as he replied in a soft, intimate voice.
We looked at each other silently for a moment, his lovely bright green eyes were smiling and hypnotizing. I hadn't realized I was biting my lip nervously until his eyes darted down to them, distracted by the movement. I anticipated the feeling of his lips on mine again, this time not getting ruined or its moment stolen by an ex-boyfriend showing up. This was all Jakes, no one else mattered. I breathed in sharply as his lips met mine, the taste of the wine and dessert swept over me. He hugged me tighter to his body as his lips left mine, only to reposition and press against mine again. There wasn't fast spit swapping or mauling at faces. Just calm, soft nips at my mouth that started building up want within me. He was so lovely, funny, good looking and a great kisser. I pressed my hand against his softly stubbled cheek and encouraged him to deepen the kiss. Unobtrusively, his warm tongue sought out mine and we were soon in a soft, warm and passionate kiss standing at the corner of the road as traffic passed us by.
Naturally, the butterflies in my stomach were holding a red bull chugging competition by the way they were back flipping through my stomach like a Russian gymnast. How could he just be so good and amazing and not have a girlfriend already? How could someone possibly give this up, so I could ultimately find my way to ending up on the corner being kissed and seduced within an inch of my life. The last girl was a clown for letting him get away. Him and his soft incredible lips, I could spend an entire day with my lips glued to his.
A loud horn from a car brought us back to reality and we pulled back and both looked over Jake's shoulder. It was an old guy in an old Ford. He gestured up to the lights where I saw the pedestrian light flashing red. We had kissed through our entire chance to cross the road. Jake half heartedly waved at the guy and turned to me again with a cheeky smile.
"We really should pay more attention," I frowned at him, before grinning. Jake nodded sarcastically at me before smiling again too.
"Well I regret nothing," He told me, hugging me to him again. "I get another whole light cycle to kiss you some more," He murmured as he hit the button again.
"How horrible for you," I mumbled as he leaned into me again. I met his lips eagerly, closing my eyes, enjoying getting back to where we were. "I thought so," Jake smiled against my lips, his green eyes disappearing behind his lids. I wrapped my arms around his neck and giggled unashamedly like a girl as his teeth tugged at my bottom lip playfully. We eventually made it across the road and back onto campus, holding hands and sharing kisses. Seemed like the first kiss had unlocked something in Jake. We had held hands and stayed close to each other, but after the kiss, Jake was carefree about it suddenly. Kissing me when ever the thought occured to him to do so. I was doing everything but complaining about it.

It was very lovely, actually, if you would believe...