Seven

When Willow had stated she was throwing herself a bachelorette party, Gwendolyn had hoped she would choose a chill option. Like maybe staying in, going to a spa, or a wine tasting. She should have known she would be wrong in that assumption as she felt the beat of the music the nightclub was playing push through her entire body.

Gwendolyn was displeased at the aspect of going out to a club, but that had been four shots ago. Now, she was laughing at a joke Willow had made.

Like Gwen, Willow had few friends. It had always been a plus for Gwendolyn due to her inability to socialize with strangers. It was a requirement for her, of course, but she hated the idea.

But with Willow, it was different. She found her laughs to be genuine, and her spirits to remain high. Instead of feeling drained after spending a day with Willow, Gwendolyn felt recharged.

This night out was something she needed. The past three weeks of her life had been nothing but chaos. She was still getting over the fact that her personal guard had been killed.

On top of that, she had a stalker who could strike at any moment. Then pretending to date her bodyguard was causing conflicting feelings on their own. After the third shot, Gwendolyn realized she actually liked him. It was a foolish emotion as he only saw her as his employer.

If Alaric were here, Gwendolyn knew what he would say if he heard that.

"I work for your father, not you."

She wished he had worked for neither, she would always live life wondering about the curiosity Alaric instilled in her. Thinking about how long that could be, Gwendolyn took the last shot on the table before she stood up, eager to go back to the dance floor.

It was a Saturday night, leaving the club extremely busy. Despite this, Gwendolyn still could pinpoint where guards were standing as they did a terrible job at hiding.

From what she could count, there had been three. Alaric had been off, and as sorely as she thought of it, she knew he deserved it.

Whenever he was working, he remained nearby, only giving her time alone when she was at work, deeming the location already safe.

Plus he was playing her boyfriend, it would be odd for a boyfriend to stand guard to watch his girlfriend work. All of these were things Gwendolyn's mind kept wandering to when she wished Alaric was there that night.

Besides, it was all the Tequila talking.

Willow pulled her to the center of the dance floor, surrounding them with other people dancing. There was hardly any space, but that didn't stop anyone from dancing, especially when a throwback began to blare.

Knowing it was a bachelorette party, Gwendolyn dressed in a way many had not seen her in. She wore a pink sequin dress that shimmered under the blue lights in the nightclub. Calling it a dress would be generous as it stopped just below her ass.

She wore silver six-inch stilettos, causing her to tower over Willow who opted for a more comfortable shoe.

But it had been years of wearing shoes like this, while they did in fact hurt, Gwen was able to brush it off to keep dancing.

After several songs, Gwen dragged Willow to their table to pour them another shot from the bottle they had purchased.

"Oh my God! I get married in less than a month, can you believe that?" Willow said, placing her face in her hands to elaborate on her dramatic act.

"You've been engaged for three years." Gwendolyn commented, "You had enough time for cold feet."

"I know," she frowned, "Sometimes I think as soon as we say I do, all of the problems will start."