4

I lay in bed looking up at the ceiling. I've been like this for a couple hours now. I've just been thinking about Martinus' sudden change.

Maybe he is genuinely sorry for everything. But how can I trust him? He has been bullying me for year just like his brother and everyone else.

I must have fallen asleep at some point because the next time I open my eyes it's dark out. I look at the clock on my wall, 3am. I still have some hours to sleep.

I wake up. Not to my alarm but someone bombarding me with messages. I groan and take my phone from the table.

"What the hell?" I mumble when I see it's Martinus.

m-hey wake up
m-you up?
m-jennyyyyy
m-come on
m-kay i'm coming there
m-open the window would you?
m-like now

I open the window and look down. Martinus is there. He looks up and starts climbing the ladders. He gets in from the window and sits on my bed.

"Martinus what are you doing here it's like 5am?" I ask.

"I'm here because I decided we're walking to school together and actually it's 7:30 so get changed." Martinus says and shows the time from his phone. I go to my closet and find some clothes.

"Turn around." I tell Martinus. He does as I say and I quickly change. "Okay I'm ready. Now I just need to put on some makeup."

"You don't need makeup you look good without it." Martinus says as he turns around.

"Ha ha ha good joke. It won't take long don't worry." I sit on a chair and start putting on my makeup. It takes me like 15 minutes and then we leave the house. Through the window of course cause I don't wanna bump into my dad especially when I'm with a boy.

We start walking to the school in complete silence. I don't know if it's awkward or not. But I don't care. I just keep walking till we're at the school.

"Thanks for suddenly deciding to walk with me, it was nice of you." I say and go to the separate way with Martinus. I don't know what he has now but it's not the same as what I have.

It's currently lunchtime and I'm sitting alone. As always. I'm just eating my lunch and going through my phone. I hear someone sit beside and I look up seeing Martinus. What is going on with that kid and his sudden change of attitude towards me?

"Hey I was thinking if you could come over today? After school?" He asks.

"I don't know if I can come, my dad would kill me." I say a bit worried.

"Well maybe you could sneak out and then back in? Please, for me." he pleads. Oh my god what is it with that kid. I sigh and nod my head. "Yes! We can work on that biology project too. But hey I have to go now, sorry." He says as he gets up and then he leaves as fast as he got here.

I'm standing in front of the door. I take a deep breath and prepare myself for whatever that is coming. I open the door slowly and quietly.

"You worthless child get here. Clean up the mess on the floor and then clean the whole house." Dad says taking the collar of my shirt and pulling me in the house. Then he shoves me on the floor but luckily I react fast enough to put my hands on the floor so I won't fall in my face.

"I-I have to go over to my friends to work on a school project." I say my with voice trembling a bit.

"You are not going anywhere. You need to be punished." Dad says and kicks me on the side.

"Stop! I have to do this it's important!" I say getting up. Dad punches me on the side of my face.

You're not going anywhere." he says and kicks me again. I do something I'm gonna regret later. I run. I get out of the house and run straight to the Gunnarsen's. I knock on the door and when Martinus comes to open it I collapse in his arms and start sobbing on his shoulder. He tightens the grip and rubs circles in back to calm me down.

We have been standing here for a while now so Martinus picks me up and leads me to the living room. He gently lays me on the couch and sits next to me.

"Hey don't cry it's okay. I'm proud of you for standing up to him." he whispers in my ear in a calm soothing voice. Then he wipes my tears with his thumb and smiles. I smile back at him and hug him again as a thank you.