Taylor walked off after saying that and I just stood there as emotions I couldn't name stirred alive within me. The reason that part of Taylor was no more was because I had killed it. I was to blame for who Taylor had become.

A part of me wished Taylor was mad at me, at least then I would know that she still cared. The fact that she didn't, that our union had no effect on her whatsoever, made a pile of self resentment rise up within me.

“I like this one, what do you think?” Taylor asked. Her smile was still the same, beautifully so, exposing her perfect set of white teeth.

I studied the large comfortable looking gray couch. “It's a good couch but I don't think it'll look good in the penthouse,” I said, offering my professional opinion.

I had a photographic image of how the house would end up looking and that couch was too big and would take too much space in the living room.

“Okay, what about that one?” Taylor asked, pointing to another set of couches and I shook my head in rejection.

“Why don't you tell me what you had in mind?” I suggested.

She looked thoughtful for a moment, then she smiled and started giving detailed information regarding color, size, and shape and there wasn't a single set of couches that resembled her idea.

“I'll talk to Gloria, give her the details and she'll have the set done before we finish up with the house. In the meantime, if it's okay, I think you should stay with the set you already have until the new one is done and delivered.”

“Well, now that that's done, we should get back to work,” Taylor said.

We headed back out and left in two different directions.

**

“Jay-Jay?”

The innocence and softness of the voice that said my childhood nickname had my heart beating faster. I turned around to find Angie standing on the doorway, holding a teddy bear in her arms.

She looked shy and nervous now that my attention was on her. We had seen each other around the house in the morning and most afternoons when she came back home from school, but the little girl had never spoken to me. The fact that she had worked up the courage to say something had me smiling.

“Come in, Angie. This is your room. I'm going to make it beautiful for you.”

Angie walked in, stopping half the way between the door and where I was painting the wall.

“You want to come and help me?”

Angie, obviously pleased with the idea, nodded and ran the rest of the way. She placed her teddy some safe distance away and I handed her a hand paint brush.

“Is there anything you want me to do to make the room prettier for you?” I asked Angie who had already gotten to work.

“I love unicorns and rainbows.”

Unicorns and rainbows, I mentally noted it down. “What else do you love?” I asked, already visualizing what I would do with the walls once the sunny paint was covering the walls.

“Princesses and Fairies.”

Such innocent thinking, I thought.

“You know what? Since this is your room, you can help me pick out what you want to put in here. Does that sound like a good idea?”

“Hmm,” Angie nodded happily.

“Where is your mommy?” I asked in curiosity.

I had come to notice that Henry was hardly ever around despite his family being there. I had also noticed that his relationship with Taylor, despite being man and wife, was rather strained.