Wattpad Original
This is the last free part

I've Decided

I walked into the cafeteria that next day and scanned the room for my best friend Holly. It was loud and chaotic, but her bright red hair stuck out like a sore thumb. It wasn't her natural hair color, but she pulled it off quite well.

I set my tray down across from her and took a seat. She was on her laptop, probably writing an essay, or another book or something, but as soon as she noticed me, she pulled out one of her earbuds.

"Hey, Eli," she greeted with a polite smile. Holly used to be better friends with my sister, but when she left, she latched onto me pretty quickly. Now she was one of the only people I could trust, hence the title of best friend.

"Hey, Hol," I smiled back. "What are you writing this time?"

"English Comp," she frowned at her screen.

"Ah," I nodded in understanding. I took that class last year through dual enrollment. The professor was pretty laid back.

"I see you went to the nurse's office again yesterday," she left the end of her statement open, obviously waiting for me to fill in the gaps. Being as she volunteered there for her service credit, she had access to most of the records.

"It was nothing. I took a soccer ball to the head in P.E., but didn't get a concussion."

"Show those boys who's boss, Bitch," she took out her other earbud and closed her laptop. Leaning forward, she crossed her arms on the table and said, "I've got a game plan all set up and ready to go. All I need is your permission to beat their asses into the ground."

"Whoa, whoa," I raised my hands in surrender, "Violence is not the answer. Please don't kill anyone."

"You're no fun," she huffed and leaned back, examining her own tray of food.

"Who's no fun?" A voice asked from behind me. I turned and saw Jordan with a tray in his hand and his backpack slung over one shoulder.

"Eli," Holly informed with a snort. I sent her a glare before looking back up at Jordan.

"Can I sit here?" he asked unsurely.

"Um, sure," I told him, though I couldn't fathom why he would want to sit here when he literally could've been accepted at any other table. Even the popular one.

Jordan set down his tray and slid onto the bench beside me. Our arms brushed slightly, but I quickly scooted to the side to give him more room.

Holly studied him silently, and when I sensed Jordan was becoming uncomfortable with her prolonged stare, I jumped to introduce them.

"Holly, this is Jordan Hughes. He's the new kid and my lab partner. Jordan, this is Holiday Tucker, my best friend with a fast pass to an insane asylum."

"Hey," Holly protested with a pout. It was soon followed by a smirk because she knew it was true.

"Nice to meet you, Holiday," Jordan stuck his hand out for her to shake.

"Yeah, yeah. Just call me Holly," she waved away his hand without shaking it and opened up her laptop again while sticking in her earbuds.

"Sorry about her," I told Jordan as I poked at the food on my tray with a plastic fork.

"It's fine," he chuckled as he looked down at his own food. "Is this supposed to be food?"

"I've learned to stop questioning it," I shrugged as I took a bite out of what was supposed to pass for a chicken nugget.

Shrugging beside me, he too took a bite.

After a few moments of silence, Jordan glanced at me and said, "You know... You never answered my question."

"What question?"

"How long have they bullied you?"

"Oh," I said, looking down at my tray again. "It doesn't matter."

"Yes, it does," he pressed. "I want to know."

"Um..." I trailed off, not sure if I wanted to tell him. I glanced up at Holly, but she was completely absent from the conversation. I would be getting no help from her.

"You can trust me," he added, looking down at me with a genuine expression.

Sighing, I gave in. "They used to bully El. She was like the school's mega nerd, and because of that, they made her life hell. I think that's part of what drove her to do so much to get out of school. I felt bad about it all, but I couldn't do much without getting hurt myself. Then when El left, I guess they just turned to me."

"Why?" He asked.

I shrugged again, "I don't know. I was weak and scrawny at the time. An easy target, I guess. I've filled out since then, but I guess old habits die hard."

"They don't even have a reason to bully you?" Jordan asked with a raised brow.

I shrugged and picked at my tray again.

"That's bull."

"I know," I muttered.

I jumped slightly when Jordan put his arm around my shoulders and pulled me towards him so he could whisper something in my ear.

My heart started pounding harder as his breath fanned against my skin.

"I've decided."

"Decided?" I asked uncertainly, not liking the unsteadiness of my voice.

"I've decided that I'm going to protect you from your bullies," he finished.

"What? Why?" I asked confusedly as he withdrew his arm.

"I told you," he smirked down at me. "I don't like bullies."

icon lock

Show your support for Mora Montgomery, and continue reading this story

by Mora Montgomery
@OminouslyAnonymous
WATTPAD ORIGINAL EDITION When Elliot Goldman meets his sweet and char...
Unlock a new story part or the entire story. Either way, your Coins help writers earn money for the stories you love.

This story has 31 remaining parts

See how Coins support your favorite writers like @OminouslyAnonymous.